So, I am heavily tattooed, and I have a job interview coming up. Should I hide them or not?

So I have 17 tattoos. Several of which are visible unless I wear long sleeves. Should I cover them, or should I let them show? The place where the interview is, is a casual bar/restaurant. I wouldn't care to cover them for job purposes if need be. What do you think???

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• Cover them - I have to also. I;ve got them on my neck too so its pretty hard. But I always cover mine and tell them when the interview is almost finished so they don't pass judgement on me... GL!
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• If the other employees show tattoos, I wouldn't worry about covering them up. Go in and see how others are. Talk to one or two employees if you can get the chance and see what the place's policy is on tattoos. If they aren't allowed, then you should cover.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I would cover some of them, but the ones on your arms and such I wouldn't.  You don't want it to be a surprise to the boss, if you ever show up in something other than a long sleeve shirt.

NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• While they aren't supposed to be biased, it happens more often than not. If you really want the job, I would cover them until I got the job. Then they would have to find an actual reason to fire you and not use the tattoos as an excuse.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I would cover them for the interview...but ask if it would be appropriate in the work place if you wore shorter sleeved tops...? If you are willing to cover them for the job, let them know that you would do so if you have to.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• no i wouldnt. some place have policies about tattoos. if they hire you then you will have to cover them if they have that policy and if you cant then they have the right to fire you.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• FYI - Tattoos are not a protected class and they can fire you for having/don't disclosing them upon hire.... (I work in HR/business)
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• where i work you cant show any tatts on your forearms and you cant have peircing in your face and only girls can wear earrings (one per ear) if you do have tatts on your forearms or neck they make you put a bandaid over it.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Depends on the restaurant. I'd visit as a patron first to know what the staff looks like. If you don't look like a fit, you not only would need to cover for the interview but all the time. Are you comfortable with that possibility? If not, rethink the interview.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I think it depends on the place where you are applying. If other employees show tattoos then I see no reason for you not to. I would probably wear what you plan to wear to work or a step above that and when its time for you to ask questions of the interviewer, ask what the company's policy is on tattoos/piercings (if those apply). In my last workplace, we were allowed to have tattoos, but they had to be covered. Not hidden, but covered so as not to detract from merchandise or offend some of our clientele. Just dont surprise your future boss one day when you show up in short sleeves and have ink all the way up your arms.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2010