When does breast milk stop being more beneficial than normal milk?

At a year? or two? or is it always best?

I planned on stopping breastfeeding at around year only so I could go back to work. Now I'm considering going for two, but expressing the milk when she is used to a cup (which I planned on doing anyway).

What's the facts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• never breastmilk will always be better the cow milk. is recommnened to breatfeed for at leats 2 yrs.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Breastmilk IS normal milk.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 4:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• It NEVER becomes less beneficial.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• It never does. It changes to suit your child's needs. Cow's milk is for cows. You could give breast milk forever if you wanted. It does not depreciate.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Human beings do not need cows milk if that is what you are referring to as normal milk.

you can give BM for how ever long you'd like to. My daughter is 16 months, i still nurse her and she doesnt drink cows milk.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• It is ALWAYS beneficial. Check out all of the info at Breastfeeding Past Infancy: Fact Sheet

I'd encourage you to keep breastfeeding directly, as opposed to using a cup.  It is really good for their jaw development and speech.  Also, Your milk has the highest level of antibodies when your baby takes it directly from your breast, and is second-best when it is freshly pumped. The longer it is stored, the more of these antibodies are deactivated. Freezing destroys even more antibodies.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Human milk is intened for humans and is always the superior choice to cow's milk.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• NEVER. If you are not returning to work until 1 year then there really is no need to express though, just nurse when you are with LO. I went to work full time at 12 weeks and pumped until she started to refuse the cup of expressed milk around 11 months old. She just drank water and diluted juice while I was at work and then nursed like crazy when I got home. She continued to nurse until about a month ago and she was 35 months old then. I actually was still giving expressed milk in a cup to my older child (5 years old) until LO weaned and I dried up. He forgot how to latch (or I would have been tandem nursing), but loved the expressed milk.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Everyone is right....never. And just like the pp said, if you don't go back to work until she is one there is no real need to express, just nurse when you are home!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 7:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2010