Have you had problems with getting your toddler to sleep on their own after co-sleeping?

I usually nurse my daughter to sleep and lay her in her cot, most of the time when she gets up after i've gone to sleep then I nurse her lying down and go back to sleep, and she stays with me until morning.

If your baby was used sleeping with you, did you have trouble getting them to sleep on their own later on? At what age did you stop letting them sleep with you? When did they happily sleep on their own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes, my dd is 16 months and i do what you do. its hard to transition but for us right now it isnt necesarry, when she is a bit older and understands go to bed and go to sleep ill do it then. there are sometimes where i put her ot bed in her tot bed and shell sleep there for a few hours then get up and come in with us. doesnt bother me.

It works for us now no harm is being done. how old is your toddler?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• no, never had a problem. sometime around 2ish the began sleeping on their own, though I still go lay in bed and give them snuggles sometimes :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• i had a little bit of a transtioning issue but she is getting use to it. i give her her milk and put her in hr crib with her blanket and a little baby book. she loves books. but when i want her in the bed with me i know she will sleep well too. we have the best of both worlds i guess. my toddler is 15month like the above poster asked. how old is your toddler?
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 4:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I co-slept with my 2nd daughter because her dad quit another job, then eventually left when she was 3 months old, and I couldn't afford another crib on my own - my 1st daughter was 15 months old when her sister was born and still slept in the crib. My younger girl slept with me up until she was about 11 months old. She seemed to adjust well to the crib after I moved it into my room. When she started sleeping well every night I moved the crib into the other room with her sister - who wasn't very happy about losing the space but liked having her sister in the room. She still goes through spurts now though and she's 4. My older girl has no problem sleeping in her bed and most nights my 4 year old goes to sleep in her bed without a problem but if she wakes up at night she crawls in bed with me or sometimes wants to fall asleep with me then I move her. This morning I woke up at 6 AM to both girls being in bed with me.
    Anonymous

• My children were in their own beds/cribs, but slid up against our bed from the very beginning. Around age 2.5 years we took the oldest and moved his bed away from ours, but still in our room and when the youngest (both are now 3 and 5 years old) hit 2 years old we did the same with her. A few months ago they both asked to be in their own room and so we put them in a bed together in a different room. Every child is different and if they are left to transition on their own terms then it goes very smoothly, but for some children that may not be until they are 4-5 years old. ours still occasionally come crawl in bed with us, but that is usually when it is storming out or they have a cold or something.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Oh she's not a toddler yet - only a baby! She's 4 months. I said toddler meaning when they're a toddler after co-sleeping from when they're babies. My mum keeps 'warning' me that she wont sleep on her own when she's older lol.
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2010