Rehoming a dog?

So my dog hates my son and I need to rehome him. I tried Craigslist but the only people who responded only wanted a free dog "for their kids". Im kind of particular about who I give him to because I love my dog very very much. This decision has taken me almost a year. I thought about the local shelter but they are very full and the staff was not very friendly. He's not a purebred and the only rescue that deals in his type in my area is for purebred dogs only. So... I dont know what to do. I dont want to just wait for him to attack my son, he has snapped before but I also dont want to just give him to any Joe Schmoe on the street. So... any ideas???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Pets

• Keep trying craigslist... and look at petfinder.com for local rescues. Make sure he goes to a home without children or with older children (over 12 or so) so that you're not just passing your problem onto another family.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 4:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Watch Dog Whisperer- I swear by it. You may not even have to get rid of the dog. Maybe even try and get Cesar Milan to come to you?!?
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 5:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• what breeds of dog?how old?how old is your son?how long have you had the dog?is it obedience trained?crate trained? does he not like other children?what have you done to try and prevent this?what were the circumstances of the nipping?what was the dog doing?your son?has the dog been tested for any medical conditions?
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 2:31 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Well I think your doing the right thing,,, I am so sorry you have to go through this, I think Craigs list is an okay option, you can go to their house to see what enviroment they have,, sounds like doggie needs a house with NO kids in it,, have you tried an older persons community,, not a nursing home,, but I bet he would just love a lttle old lady to spoil him rotten! I wouldn't do the shelter either,,,it stresses them to be kept in that enviroment. Does he snap at your son? Is there anyway to keep them seperate until your kiddo is older? I am sure you probably already have thought this through,,,,Does your dog like other dogs? I would see if there is anyone with no kids in the neighborhood who might be interested? (you could still visit) Our local grocery store has a place for pet adoptions and what not when you walk in--maybe worth a try? Good luck hugs to you!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:43 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• LOTS of people troll Craigslist and Kijiji to find dogs that people are giving away.

LOTS of those people are not what they seem. They have glowing references and seem like the white picket fence kinda family. In reality, what they are doing is picking up dogs, selling to the med/science/testing labs or to people to use as bait dogs.

When getting rid of your dog, ask LOTS of questions, go to see the place your dog will be going to. Ask for vet references as well. If they aren't what they seem, your gut sends you a message or whatever, tell them thanks but no thanks.

DON"T rush to get rid of your dog...try to work with him first.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2010