Hmmm... what am I doing wrong with potty training?

My 2 1/2 year old loves wearing her big girl underpants and doesn't have accidents in them, but I can't get her to use the potty chair. She likes the potty chair and will sit on it when her potty watch goes off. But nothing ever happens. She'll hold it until nap time, which I put pull ups on and she's wet after her nap when she gets up. I just can't get her to sit on the potty chair for very long. So she never goes in the potty chair, but doesn't have accidents in her underpants either. Hmmmm....what do I do? I've even gotten her up before she's woken up and put her on the potty, but she's never gone that way either. Help!

ldybgvld

Asked by ldybgvld at 4:44 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe try a potty seat for the big potty. Some kids like that better. Have you tried rewards for peeing in the potty?Does she drink enough before a nap to have to pee? Maybe try putting off her nap till she actuall pees?
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I've heard of one method where you give your child a lot to drink so they will need to go more frequently. Maybe you could try that. GL!
    Anonymous

• Put her on the big potty after her potty watch goes off and make her sit there until she pees no matter how long it takes. Sometimes it is hard for a child to "relax and release" so, she has an "accident" when she is sleeping because she can't hold it if she is sleeping. If you make her sit there for long enough she won't be able to hold it even if she is sitting on the potty during her naptime. Her body won't allow her to hold it all day.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Do you distract her or offer insentive? Read her a book while she is on the potty, but dont stop reading if you notice her going. When she is done is when you praise. And despite what most people say about bribes, they work and dont hurt your child. Give her an M&M when she actually goes. Do not praise for "just trying" with something tangible. Tell her "good job for trying," but dont reward her asside from that until she actually goes. Any other ?s IM me.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 4:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Wow, there's a child who can control her bladder, that's half the battle. Now, I'd say if she's holding off for the nap pull-up, then don't give her a pull-up for the nap. Even if you have to deal with a couple of accidents and a couple of bad nap days. And I agree, give her lots of liquids. I have a feeling she'll know where to put that pee pee that will need to go SOMEWHERE. Don't have her sit on the potty, just watch her for an accident (watch her very closely) and move her there as she starts to pee. Give her a small reward if even a little lands in the potty. She'll get it in no time, if you are consistent.
    Anonymous