I have a friend who lives nearby my house and she has two kids. She is a fulltime working mom and her babysitter is currently not available. She just asked me whether i can take care of her daughter. I said no but very politely. Now I feel very guilty about it?

I have 2 kids of my own ( Twins) and just three years old. My kids and my housework is handfull for me at this point. This has been bickering my mind for a while now.

Vmom79

Asked by Vmom79 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• She'll find someone who doesn't have the responsibilities you do. It will be fine. It's ok to say No.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• DOnt feel guilty.. thats a lof of work. I wouldnt take it on. She will figure something out.
    Anonymous

• don't ever do anything out of guilt. If you don't WANT to watch her kids then she should not leave them with you. I've said yes to a few friends who wanted me to watch their kids & it ended up being a nightmare. Unless you REALLY want to do it, don't do it. And don't feel guilty about that, she will find help somewhere else.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• You may feel better if you did it. Adding one extra child doesnt really add too much more work, and you would be making money, which may make all of your hard work not feel so hard and worth while. Just a thought. But if you truly feel like you cannot handle it, don't feel guilty.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 5:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• it is so difficult to not feel guilty about saying no. I go through that same issue. I'm willing to bet that you kept yourself out of a situation that could have gotten much worse. If you had said yes when you knew you shouldn't have you would be upset and resentful toward yourself and your friend. You did the right thing.
    ErinRenee815

Answer by ErinRenee815 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• You have to do what you have to do. The same things happened to me though. I needed a babysitter and do not have anyone I know to watch my son. So I asked a family friend and they said no. I was upset. I see both sides.
    ConnorMonster

Answer by ConnorMonster at 5:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• You did what you thought best and you should not feel guilty. Easier said than done I know but I feel like everyone knows what they can handle. Even one extra child is more work and if you know you can't handle that you did the right thing.
    Anonymous

• She will need to find her own child care. Do not feel guilty. You made a decision to stay home with YOUR children. She made the decision to work. Sometimes the two groups of mothers think the other has it easier. An extra child (not familiar with your home/routine)is a lot of extra work. Ask yourself would she take your children on a short notice?
    Anonymous