My pediatrician said what??

I took my babe in for his 15 month check up, and though he has grown taller, he weighs the same, .. which suprised me cuz he is , to me, a chunk. He eats more than my 5 year old! She told me he isnt underweight but I should try adding more butter and fats to his food.

WHAT?

There is a big enough obesity problem in the USA.. I dont need to add more fat to my kids diet!

Would you be mad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sometimes people worry too much about what their kid looks like instead of their health. I used to a have a friend (key word, USED) and she constantly called her little girl a fatass for wanting food.. but she never fed the kid enough. She read that all they need is the amount of the size of their fist and then she stuck to it like glue even though her child was still hungry. Brains need fat too. And kids burn a lot of calories from playing so much. I think someone that went to school for the stuff probably knows a bit more than you do.
    Anonymous

• Avocado is a healthy fat and yes, they should be getting lots of it. I wouldn't be mad.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• No, take the peds advice. She is not telling you to shove country crock down his throat. Maybe butter up a bread for him or add it to his veggies once a day. Don't eat only lean meats. Yes, there is an epidemic of fat kids in America, and I agree we need to monitor our kids diet to make sure they get balanced nutrition, but everyone needs fat in their diet. She seems to think your son is not getting enough. You should take this issue up with the ped to get more information.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 5:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Yes, so not mistake the idea, of oils and fats as a negative.
    Olive oils, avacados, etc, all have HEALTHY fats and oils in them.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 5:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I'm curious, how much does he weigh? I would say as long as he is eating healthy foods, and you said he eats a lot, I wouldn't worry too much. I would worry more if he started to lose weight, then I would definately try adding something to his diet. And maybe try adding foods that have a higher fat content naturally - but I wouldn't give him butter or anything like that.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 5:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My kid eats a lot, and it isnt all lean and healthy either.. sometime I feel like he already eats too much crap.. but he eats...and DUH! I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT MY KIDS APPEARANCE.. OBESITY ISNT JUST AN APPEARNACE ISSUE... CHRIST! IT CAUSES HEALTH ISSUES! HAVE YOU NO BRAINS!? MORE KIDS ARE SUFFERING FROM HEART DISEASE AND DIABETES THAN EVER BEFORE.. PROBABLY BECAUSE PEDS LIKE MINE AND PARENTS LIKE YOU.
    Anonymous

• He hates avacado, or anything else I try to feed him that DOES have healthy fat... He is 23 pounds.. but he looks about 40.. no joke. He eats everything I make for lunch/ dinner.. lots of dairys, carbs, proteins, and we arent shy about the butter here.
    Anonymous

• It's about MODERATION. SOME fats, oils are NEED for a healthy diet.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Parents like me? My kids aren't overweight... And I wasn't trying to be rude. I think a 1 1/2 year old that is 23 pounds though is fine. My 2 1/2 year old is only 33.
    Anonymous

• kids need healthy fats, that said, I disagree with the suggestion of using butter. but it's not "Parents like us" that are the problem, personally, I can't even type that without laughing! We're vegetarians, we eat clean, don't use dairy products, and are constantly accused of bad nutrition for NOT feeding the kids crap they don't need.
    Bottom line, they need fat in their diet. Accept it or don't. That does not mean, however, that you should shove butter down a kids throat.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2010