medicine...

my dd was prescribed the anit-biotic omnicef she got the generic form which is cefdinir, i was reading the information that comes with it and from what i read it hasnt really been tested it has but not enough to know all the effects it may cause. i was wondering if anyones child has taken this medicine and how it went for them? im hesitant to give it to my dd cause im allergic to so many medicines i can only take 2 or 3 anti-biotics and im 23 years, have only been able to take a couple since i was little. so any info or anything would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Kids' Health

• well what is wrong with her.. there might be something out there better than an antibiotic unless it has gotten to bad!! When my son gets sick i stick with garlic and even childrens echinacea. a health food store will have the garlic in a pill form.. you pop it with your teeth child takes whats inside.. Garlic is the best.. it helps with some much!!!
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 5:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• she has an ear infection
    Anonymous

• Been there done that one, both myself and all my kids, numerous times. I prefer it to amoxil, it doesn't have the diarrhea or yeast infection side effects for my kids. We haven't had any problems with it, other than it doesn't taste the greatest. Like any med insert says, if a doctor prescribed it, they obviously believe the benefits outweigh the possible side effects. It's obviously the best thing for whatever is wrong with her or they woulnd't have prescribed it. Give it to her and watch for any side effects.
    Anonymous

• is Omnicef a medication YOU would be able to take? I would be cautious with anything you are allergic to, she might be as well. But if it's something you could take I would give it. You really never know if a person is going to be allergic to a medication until you try.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• no i cant take it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• If it's something you're allergic to, I'd be really careful in giving it to her in case she inherited your allergies.
    As far as the testing thing goes, you'll be hard pressed to find much of anything that has been tested heavily on children.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Just because you are allergic to a medication doesn't mean she will be. My mom is allergic to sulfa drugs but none of her children are. My daughter is allergic to zythromax yet me and her dad aren't. My son is allergic to penicillin but again me and his dad are not. An allergic reaction to a medication can form at anytime even if you have taken that particular medicine 20 times. If you don't give her the medicine you can't be sure. Just watch her carefully and call or take her to the ER right away if you see anything.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 11:59 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• i know that if im allergic it doesnt mean she is. but im worried about it. thanks ladies
    Anonymous

• you can get natural ear drops.. that has a pn med in it from a flower.. it is called mullein garlic !! its better than antibiotics!! Ive used when my son was getting them.. but since we are vaccine free we have been ear infection free
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 1:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Similsan Ear Ache drops available in any pharmacy. Garlic pills to help fight the infection.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:28 AM on Jun. 18, 2010