How do you handle stress or being overwhelmed while watching your kids?

I have a 2 and a 4 yr old and i get occasionally overwhelmed at times. Whats the best way to handle being overwhelmed at times.

destinys1

Asked by destinys1 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have NO CLUE! I have been on and off here for 2 days because I am sooooooooooo upset I can not think! I mean I made my DD food and I will be getting off soon in fact in 20 mins to make dinner. I cleaned my house and did all that but to release stress and get my mind off things I come on here! Grant it I fight a lot with people on here but Ithink that helps too lol! Good luck though!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• What are you being overwhelmed with? Mess? Tantrums? Obeying/disobeying? Shopping with kids? Well, those are some of mine. Whatever it is, think about what is bugging you the most and try to be creative about a resolution. Like, my 3 kids were fighting over the best spot on the couch lol so I bought them each a bean bag....they love them.

3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• give yourself a few day break. f**k the dishes, screw the laundry. have a pajama day, movie day, lazy day. When I am REALLY overwhelmed I realize it's because I am splitting myself between the kids and the house. I can't let the kids go but I can let the house go. I fall in love with them again and can start fresh in a few days when I feel more sane
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I stop what Im doing, sit down and take 10 deep breaths. Then I either find something to laugh about(like I read a joke or watch a funny tv show,etc) or I listen to a song.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I used to lock myself in the bathroom for a good 20 minutes with the tap running (sometimes the tub, too) to drown out the noise and chaos. Then I'd sit on the tub or toilet and just rock with my fingers in my ears. It was quite calming.
    That was when my kids were toddlers. Now I shove them out the door and tell them to go play so I can be alone. Either that or I can find them some chores to help with (they usually pick playing outside to chores, lol).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2010