What is the best possible way to keep the house clean with 3year old twins?

When my house is very clean I am more relaxed and happy. But it is very hard.

Vmom79

Asked by Vmom79 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Nap time. Once your house is up to par it will be easy to maintain so you can schedule the cleaning thru the week. I know how you feel-I have 3 all 5 and under.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 5:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Same as you would with any kids in the house...just clean around them. Have some rules about messiness.

I babysat kids when my son was little, I still cleaned. My mom babysat 7 kids while I was small. We just clean around kids and set some guidelines for toys out. Have them help clean up too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Move out all the junk and leave nothing but the furniture. lol That's all I can think of. Because with TWIN THREE YEAR OLDS? it's impossible. Clean isn't even a word for them. lol
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 5:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I only allow mine to have food and drinks in the kitchen, so they can't track crumbs or spill things anywhere else. I also keep their toys in plastic bins and only allow one bin per child out at any given time, and I involve them in picking up. They "help" to some extent with small cleaning tasks - if you make it a game they will want to pitch in. They play outside a lot too.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• You are right. It really is difficult because just making sure they are cared for is a big job. Then you include cleaning up and the time is well spent.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• LESS IS MORE! The less you have the easier it is! Declutter, get rid of anything that you do NOT love or need! Have routines. I've found that my house does better if I couple up chores around meals times. Do certain chores before or after a meal. That's all I've got! I just know if you have less stuff, you have a cleaner home in general!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I have boundries and rules. We put our shoes up in ONE spot and I say "Nice and neat please." and they know exactly where and when to put their shoes, like repetition and habits. I like for my kids to play with their toys in their rooms. Alot of my mommy friends in the neighborhood do the same. WE all go in and play most of the time. Get organized in their rooms - lots of storage. If we play in our computer room, we play and pick up as we go. Its a rule.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• 3 year olds with hands, that can walk at the same time they can carry things can clean up after themselves. remember the Barney Clean Up song? Looks like you have some pretty good answers above also.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 6:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• You do your heavy cleaning at naptime and bedtimes. For light stuff, you can do it with them. Get a play broom and dust pan and have them help.
    But the one thing I'll say.....let go of your stress about keeping the house too clean at this age. ENJOY THEM!!! This stage is over in a blink of an eye and your children will be graduating HS before you know it. The dishes will always be there, but your twins will not.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My main piece of advice to begin with would be to de-clutter (everything in it's place or out it goes, and if you don't LOOOVE it, get rid of it)
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:36 AM on Jun. 17, 2010