CIO for fours hours?!!!

I just read on a response to another question that someone let a 4 month old cry for FOUR hours! Is it just me, or is this bordering on child neglect?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would never let my children cry for 4 hours, and they are 6 and 4 "years" old, not months. In a 4 hour span, a 4 month old should be fed and changed at least once, maybe more. So, imo that is definitely neglect and just plain cruel.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 6:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• That's neglectful, that baby needed something, or something was wrong. CIO is not supposed to go on for 4 hours!!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:44 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• 4 months and 4 hours -YES, Neglect.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:44 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• That is neglectful. Sorry but CIO isn't good for babies under 9 months or so and if it went on for 4 hours, there is something wrong especially since in 4 hours a 4 month old is probably hungry.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• That is horrible, in my opinion. I do think it's bordering on child neglect, especially at such a young age. I know exactly which question you're referring to, and I successfully taught my son to sleep in his crib without ever letting my son cry like that. Yes, it took a lot of patience, but he eventually got it. I tried CIO ONCE and after 15 minutes of him crying for me, I was in tears myself. I never tried it again. I just can't do that to him.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I saw that and thought exactly the same thing. WTH? LOL Yes, that is unnecessary even at 12 months. i only let my 2 year old CIO for 15 minutes max.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Bordering? No, abuse/neglect, YES.

Anyone who could do that should have their child taken away. You're supposed to hold, and snuggle, and love, and feed them. Not try to forget about them to make your life easier.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• No more than FIFTEEN MIN ladies, for those who believe in CIO. I think it's cruel and unusual punishment myself.
    Anonymous

• Our ped. recommended it, but only after she was 9 months and for no more than 15 min., but it killed me i was in there no longer than every 10 min. And it sucked but the first night it was a total of 30 minutes, the second night about 15, and the third night was less than 5. It works, but you need to keep calming the child down and letting them know your still there.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 5:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• wow, thats ridiculous. Seriously, that is neglectful!!!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2010