Do you that birth order affects part of a person's personality?

Are you the oldest, youngest, middle child, or were you an only child? Do you think it determined part of your personality? How do you differ from your siblings?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 6:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think it could... I'm an only child, but I have three kids myself and I can see how their experiences have differed by birth order. My oldest we seemed to expect to grow up faster... the youngest gets away with more, not so much because we baby her but because I have gotten more laid back as a mom and feel like some of the things our oldest got heck for simply were not worth it even then! The youngest has a harder time entertaining herself and is more socially aware at an earlier age. The middle child is about the same, the oldest is a lot better at independant play and entertaining himself.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• well if there is such thing as the middle child syndrome then my sister sure has it. I'm the oldest...i feel that being the oldest did make me more nurturing and protective of others..my brother is the baby..i wouldnt say he got babied though. After everyone left the house my dad expected a lot out of him
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• YES I am the baby and I am STILL SPOILED ROTTEN by EVERYONE!!!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 6:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• yes but also my youngest aunt is more like an only child considring of the big age differances. so in alot of ways yes. but i know alot of only children that are soo babied. so they are not indepandent or anything. so it depends. but i do think it does play some part. i was very babied and my brother who is 6yrs older then me is very protective of me.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• im the oldest and i had to grow up pretty early. at 7 i was walking home by myself and taking care of my brothers who were 4 and 1. my middle bro also was a bit of a grown up to. but my baby bro is a big baby and he is 20
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 6:52 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I saw this on a college assignment one time. Yes birth order influences personality. I'm the baby but of a second marriage so only child of my dad and 3rd for my mom. How's that for interesting?
    Anonymous

• I have no clue about the effects of birth order because I didn't grow up in a typical family. I am the oldest of 5 children and the only girl. We lived together until our mother and 4 y/o brother died in a car accident and now we don't have a relationship with each other whatsoever.
    As far as my children, my middle child (I have 3) seems to be the complete opposite of what middle children are claimed to be.

I am just glad that we are all unique and special individuals created by God with a special purpose. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I had fun with one of my professors with that when we studied it in one of my child development classes.
    My parents adopted, then had 2, so I was born 2nd, but acquired 3rd. Then, they adopted 2 more, 1 of which is older than everyone, so then I'm 4th oldest. What order am I in? Yeah, it's affected my personality. I'm confused!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2010