my dd pediatrician keeps pushing me to stop nursing COLD turkey...

shes been saying this since she was 10 months. that i need to just stop suddenly and it is the easiest way. shes 16 months now and i dont want to stop nursing cold turkey.

its very frustrating she always pushes this on me and i tell her we are comfortable with nursing her still.

im thinking about getting a diff pediatrician she pushes so much onto me or tries to. And when my dds dad isnt at the appt, shell say something like "oh is it because her dad wants this?" NO ITS BECAUSE ITS WHAT WORKS FOR US!

or shell push even harded when he isnt there. and really, im the parent that will stand up for what we believe not really him, he kind of just puts it in one ear and out the other.

anyway would you get a diff pediatrician??? im so annoyed with the current one!

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what's her REASON?? like, why does she think you need to stop? Is it the babies age?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Yes I would.. No way would I trust a ped that was like that.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I would get another one. Someone who is up to date on what is beneficial for your child.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• If you want to stop breasfeeding I agree that cold turkey is the best bc stimulation will just keep making milk but if you want to continue breastfeeding then keep on doing it. It is your life. You won't always agree with all doctors. If you like her otherwise stay with her but just tell her you don't want to stop bfing

Answer by admckenzie at 6:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I would definitely get another ped. The American Board of Pediatrics recommends nursing until the age of 2, so I wonder why your ped. would even recommend that you stop. And stopping cold turkey will not only be hard for your dd, but it will be hard for you too. Your breasts may likely get engorged. Gradual weaning around the age of 2 is what worked best for me. Around that age, mine usually nursed 3 times per day. I started by cutting out the mid day feeding. Once that was going well, I cut out the morning feeding. Then I gradually cut out the night feeding, which was the hardest to quit. This way, it was easier on the child, and my body was able to adjust to the change in milk supply.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 6:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• If she is being too pushy, I'd get another doctor. There is no reason why you even need to stop breast feeding at all right now if you don't want to. Doctors are mainly supposed to give advice in areas like that, not orders. You should be able to feel comfortable discussing anything with your child's doctor, and it doesn't seem like she is making it very easy for you to do that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Unless she has a valid medical reason for you to stop nursing then I would definitely be finding a new doctor. The AAP recommends nursing until AT LEAST the age of 2 years and she has been pressuring you since less then 1 year (which up until not to long ago was the minimum age the AAP recommended weaning). I personally let my children self wean and my first that meant while I was pregnant at the age of 18 months and my second just weaned about a month ago at 35 months old. Cold turkey is not only NOT good for LO, but also not good for your body. You set your self up for possible infection etc. If she isn't up to date on this very talked about controversial subject then what else is she not up to date on that isn't in the news every day?
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I'd get a new ped! First, all major health organizations say at least 2 yrs, so I wouldn't want a dr who is giving out such bad health info. What other bad info is she given.
    Cold turkey? More bad info!! Not good for mom or baby.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I never would have lasted that long with someone like that. I'd have found a new one a long time ago. It's long past time to find a new one, for the sake of your dd!
    Anonymous

• Get a new one. Pediatricians are supposed to know what's good for kids. She obviously doesn't. Besides, as another mentioned, you should be able to openly discuss with your pediatrician. You can't do that if she's making you uncomfortable.and cold turkey is NOT the way to go. It's harder on the child's emotions, mom's hormones, and mom's breast. Cold turkey is asking for an infection. Our bodies and children are made to wean gently and gradually.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2010