My 2 1/2 year old does not say words. He understands me when I tell him to do something. I know he understands but he wont say any words. When he wants something he just whines until you figure out what he wants. I have a 7 and a 4 year old. I didn't have this issue with them. I am just wondering should I be concerned. Thanks for any advice.

I am a stay at home mom, so he doesn't go to daycare...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If all he has to do is whine until you figure out what he wants & then you give it to him, why should he talk? You've trained him to whine instead of talk. You need to stop rewarding his whining & make him use words to ask for things. If he doesn't use words to tell you what he wants, then you need to ignore his whining. I guarantee, if this is the issue, he'll start talking right away. My son was the same way. His 7 yr old sister knew what his grunting & whining meant & she kept giving him what he wanted & because of that, he hardly ever talked. When I asked his Dr. about it, she gave me the instructions I gave you & it worked immediately.
    If this doesn't work & you feel he has a speech issue or developmental issue, then you should talk to his Dr. about other possibilities.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• He won't say ANY words? I would definitly have him evaluated. It could be nothing... but it might be. Good luck.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My grandson was like that. He had a hearing problem. He could hear and understand but an infection was keeping him from hearing well enough to process what he heard and speak. See a ped ear nose and throat specialist. It was a simple fix but the regular ped couldn't find the infection in the ear canal.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Look up your regional center. My son's 2yo this month and is the same. He will be starting speech therapy next week.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• The fact that he understands everything is a good sign, he may just be a late talker. However, a 2 yr old who does not talk at all needs to be evaluated by a professional. Get a referral from your ped asap.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I would be worried at this age. I think it needs to be looked into.
    In the mean time I wouldn't give him what he wants for whining... make him make an attmept at asking for it. Like if he wants milk... have him try to say it, if he can't show him the sign for it. Have him try it... and then repeat... "milk".
    If he uses a pacifier... ditch it.... make it stay in his bed if he's not ready to give it up.
    And try to have your older children not "speak" for him.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• We had our son evaluated by ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) at 21 months because he said 2 words. Hi & Bye. Call now because they can only work with him until 36 months old, that's it. Call them directly or call your dr & call a referral.

Mostly, they gave me specific things to do with him and they met with us weekly. For you maybe 2x a week since you don't have long until 36 months. They can teach you how to work with him, check his hearing, see if he's delayed in other ways than verbal expression.(They came to our house). How to give 2 choices, and reward every grunt or peep he makes at first, to reinforce that he can get what he wants by talking. Choices are great. Which one, blue or red? Baby Einstein's sign language helped us a lot as the signs I could recognize sooner than his words. We used them simultaneously, so that he utters SOMETHING as he signs & we repeat a LOT.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• my son said like a handful of words and then all of the sudden just popped out with full sentences. i taught him sign language in the mean time. things like drink, thank you, your welcome, sissy, easy stuff.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• my son is the same age and we got him evaluated at 18mths, he's now in speech therapy and has progressed so much. Get his hearing tested and then see if he needs to be evaluated. Good luck.
    Anonymous