What religions or denominations have you explored before ending up in the faith you are in now?

How long were you in each one and what made you change? What drew you to each one? What age were you when you realized that you are a spiritual being? How does it affect who you are today? Blessings..

Daphna28

Asked by Daphna28 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised a catholic all my life. Then at 32 began to study with JW's. i'm very happy with the path I've chosen. I'm now at peace, I've learned that forgiveness was necessary, so i forgave my rapist and my molester. I'm a better wife and mother since studying the bible.
    Anonymous

• Well, I grew up in the Methodist Church most of my life, but went to Catholic school where I excelled in religion class and enjoyed learning about that denomination. After I left the Christian church, I became Wiccan for about 2 years, then studied with JW's, Mormons and even Islam with my cousin's Pakistani husband. I went back to the Methodist church but only stayed for about a year before becoming an Atheist-although I continued  to attend the services with my husband for 10 years.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:47 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I didnt explore many. I was christian for 34 yrs of my life, died in the wool and true blue.
    One day I woke up and realized I didnt quite believe like I had before so I went looking into different things. Mostly pagan things, found Wicca and it made a lot of sense and answered questions I had always had but figured Id have to wait to have God answer them at some future date. In a way, he did.

Since then Ive studied but never considered myself a part of various pagan religions and I listen to those who are members of other beliefs(like Jewish folks or Muslims or peole of the Baha'i faith,etc) and I learn from them.

Im happy with where Im at now. Ive found a bigger peace and fuller joy then Ive ever known and have no desire to convert to anything else or back to where I was. I will continue enjoying hearing from others(as long as they arent pushy about their beliefs)but deeply studying/practicing something else...nah.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I'm interested in religion and philosophy generally, even if I don't feel the urge to 'join' (and honestly, I'm not much of a joiner when it comes to organized anything, including organized religion!) My family background is nominally Christian and in my teens and very early twenties I did a lot of reading and thinking about Christianity... I think I was trying hard to make what was familiar 'fit' even though it never really did. In high school I also did a lot of reading/researching about Paganism (specifically Wicca) and Hinduism (because my then-boyfriend, now-dh's family background is Hindu.) I actually got very interested in Buddhism following a psychology of the self course in university. I think that it has helped me to feel confident in my beliefs, to recognize many commonalities across humanity in general, and to feel comfortable with diversity. And I'm always happy to keep learning.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Practiced? Meh... I frown on practicing anything that you have not fully explored, so that you are certain it is in fact the correct path for you.
    Though there is not much I have not exhaustively explored, simply for the sake of knowledge, I came to the conclusion at an early age that I did not believe in any form of higher power. I simply could not believe, regardless of how hard I tried. So, I stopped trying. I was raised in a fundamentalist christian home, and learned very quickly not to openly question their faith. After moving out on my own @ 17, I was then free to openly express my beliefs.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I was Catholic until my late 30's, but it never felt right for me. I'd always been interested in other beliefs and started looking even more into Kabbalah, Wicca, Hinduism, Buddhism...you name it. After a few years of searching I began to realize labeling my beliefs would be pointless. To me, there are truths and valuable insights to be found in many of the world's spiritual beliefs. Though my path includes a lot of Shamanistic elements, it encompasses many other beliefs too, all which embrace knowledge, a connection with Higher Self, and the interconnectedness of all life. My path has helped me find greater empowerment, and healed some of the wounds of childhood traumas.

Terranova

Answer by Terranova at 7:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I started from Methodist, went to Catholicism, from there went to Baptism, Dabbled in Hindu, went to paganism, converted to being Agnostic. I've never been happier.
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 7:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Im still exploring and discovering. I am a Christian in the sense that I believe in Jesus Christ at the savior, but I certainly don't believe the bible word-for-word. I don't belong to a specific denomination because I can't seem to find one that fits.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• oh btw, I assume you are JW. I've read the little book they gave me on it and I don't find that religion to be a right fit for me either, but I do respect all religions. I thought it was an interesting take on the bible though.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• No I am not a JW . I am a child of Yahweh. We really do not have a title, because the only name we need to proclaim are the Holy names of Yahweh and his son Yahshua. My site is way different on the Jw's take on anything. In fact there is a article why we do not use the JW name. Check it out if you want. Blessings..

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2010