Can a Christian minister marry two Catholics?

SO's aunt is a Christian minister. I was wondering if she could marry us. I thought, since she's part of the family and knows us, it would mean a lot more to us. He says it's not possible since we're not Christian, but I thought it didn't matter. Aren't we both Christian when you think about it???

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 6:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Long answer: For Catholics marriage is more than a legal agreement or a commitment - it's a sacrament. It's a way Jesus gave us to experience God's grace. In order for the Catholic Church to say that a sacrament took place they need to make sure that all the conditions for a valid, sacramental marriage are in place - that both parties are free to marry, that they are entering th emarriage of their own free choice, that the couple has an accurate understanding of what a Catholic marriage is (aka a life-long commitment), etc. This is why some pre-marrital counciling is necessary for a valid Cahtoic marriage. A priest/deacon should also be present to witness the sacrament and because it's a sacrament it should be performed in a sacred place (aka church). To be clear - for Catholics the sacrament is not given by the priest - the couple gives the sacrament to each other. But the priest/decon is a witness for the church (cont
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:40 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I dont see why not.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 6:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Yes, provided they are legally able to do marriages in that state. However, the marriage not be recognized by the Catholic Church so if that's important to you, you may have to look further into it.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• If your Catholic then yes you are Christian. However the Catholic church requires a catholic priest to be part of the ceremony to fulfill the sacrament of marriage. You can contact a local Catholic Church and discuss this with a priest and ask what options you have. It really depends on the diocese.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I dont see why christian minister is refusing other than he is making it about personal reasons. move on and find someone else....
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Beats me. Congrats on getting married though!! Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• There is something about the sacraments and being married in the church. it will be a valid marriage though
    gbaby01

Answer by gbaby01 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• No, polygamy is against the law.

JK!  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  big smile mini

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Catholics are Christians and I would assume if that's what you want to do then you can do it. Like someone else said, though, the Catholic Church won't see it as a valid marriage (if that means anything to you).

I'm atheist and my husband is...whatever and we had a Methodist preacher marry us because our town didn't have a JP.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I think that would be at his discretion. The catholic church is more strict on stuff like that than other denominations.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2010