Would you let your underage child sail around the world by there self?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• If I had any say in it I would never let my child sail around the world by their self! Not underage, and not of age!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 6:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• If it was a dream of her/him and he/she was well trained and had the right equipment and knowledge, yes, I will support someone so young with their ambition. It is rare these days to see a 16 year old with such drive and ambition.

Answer by older at 6:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• no they are still a child IMO. they could end up getting killed or getting someone else killed trying to save her. JMO i don't think so.
    eva123

Answer by eva123 at 7:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Depends on the kid. My kids have no interest, but if my kid were like Abby and Zac Sunderland then yeah, I would. They were well trained, knowledgable, and capable.That's not to say I wouldn't worry if my kid was out there. I most certainly would! I worried when my kid wanted to cross the street and later the town by himself too, but I still let him go because I knew he was ready and capable.

Have people totally forgotten that just a few decades ago and throughout history "kids" this age were considered adults and had adult responsibilities, families, etc.? People complain because most teens sit around playing video games and never do anything worthwhile, but when a teen actually prepares for and pursues a dream, people have a fit because it's not safe. I just don't get it. Driving isn't safe either. Teens die EVERY DAY in car accidents. Doesn't mean I'm not going to let my son do it when he's ready.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 10:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2010