discipling a 3 year old

My son just turned 3 and he is driving me mad. He does not listen and acts like a complete brat. I dread taking him anywhere. His behavior is very embarrassing. Ive tried what seems like everything. Any advice?

karma.g

Asked by karma.g at 6:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When you talk to him get down on his level, face to face! Make sure he understands what your says, I always ask my son to repeat what I just said to make sure he was listening. Stick with the time out, 1 min for how old they are. Keep the same spot and get a little chair for him to sit in, be persistent do not give in!

Anonymous

• "Whoever called it the terrible twos, never had a three-year-old." Love that quote. Really though? Discipline him.
    Anonymous

• I know what you mean. I have a 3 year old daughter. Just hang in there. Be consistant and it will work. I have tried everything and I have found if I stick with one punishment and I am consistant that it works. Dont get me wrong its hard and it seems like your not getting threw to them but eventually it works.
    Abbysmommy321

Answer by Abbysmommy321 at 7:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• You need to understand that he is acting his age. You need to figure out where he is developmentally, so you don't expect too much out of him as far as behavior goes. I swear I wish parents were required to take a full course load of child development classes before having children.
    Anonymous

• ignore anon answers like that...three year olds should and can listen. it's all about keeping up with him and making sure you're using your punishments. also see if he's bored when he's talking back to you. that's when my three year old seems to have the most problem, in which case i put him in time out (if it fits) and then play a game with him if i have time. he like hungry hungry hippos or read a book. the interaction is what my son craves but your son might just need nap or time in the yard to blow off steam.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2010