is 3 months too young to have surgery. my son was born with extra digits an additional finger on each hand. the doctor told me the surgery will be performed when he is 3 months of age when he is a little older.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it were a problem I would do it. My son had heart surgery at 1 week old and he was a 26 weeker. But he had to have it or he would have died. It's better to have surgery when they are younger though because they won't remember it, but if it's not bothering him than you just have to use your own judgement. Kids can be mean to other kids who are different. So it more than likely would be something he would want later in life.
    anna_mccall

Answer by anna_mccall at 8:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Are they functional fingers? If so, why remove them at all?

My oldest was born with an undescended testicle and they waited until he was a year old to schedule the surgery to lower it. They said he needed to be older and stronger before they would do the surgery. Three months seems early.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• unless it is going to prevent him from doing normal things, like writing, playing, etc. WHY would you do that?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• no, babies can do surgery that young BUT this is a cosmetic procedure and high risk for something that's not life-threatening. use your best judgement.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• my son was 9 months when he had his circumcision.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Are there any other issues internally? I know polydactylism can cause heart and other organ issues as well.If the doc says he's strong enough,I'd believe him. You don't want him falling behind developmentally.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My daughter had open heart surgery at 19 months old. Personally, I think they waited too long. She's obviously been affected by the surgery. Her personality changed. 3 months is really early, but I wouldn't wait real long so it doesn't traumatize him.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 8:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I would go by whatever the doctor has to say. I like to hope that they have everyone's best interest at heart as well as all of the facts. Good luck momma!
    luckiestmommy21

Answer by luckiestmommy21 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• the military removes them before you leave the hospital, so no it is not too early! Good luck!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2010