I really need help on meal planning.

I can't ever come up with any good ideas, lol. Also, when you plan your meals, do you buy everything at once? Do you buy in bulk? Someone help, lol! I really don't even know where to start, and I'm trying to learn to not only budget my money, but to not have to go shopping so often.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• This is an idea of how I plan dinners: I've cut down on red meat, but you might make one of the poultry nights a beef night.

Monday- Family night- homemade pizza, salad or minestrone, carrots/celery with peppercini
    Tuesday- Chicken- Oven Fried Chicken, Yam Fries, Green Beans
    Wednesday- Vegetarian- Grilled Veggie Sandwiches, Horseradish Potato Salad, 3 bean salad
    Thursday- Ground Poultry- Spaghetti, Salad or leftover minestrone, garlic bread
    Friday- Seafood- Salmon Patties, Seasoned Brown Rice, Steamed Veggies
    Saturday- Poultry-Greek Chicken Ceasar Salad with brown basmati rice mixed in, Whole Wheat dinner rolls
    Sunday- Lean Pork- Roast pork Tenderloin w/veggies
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• The food ads come on Tues. and start on Weds. here, and as it happens my husband gets paid Wednesdays. I clean out the fridge on Wednesday, so that I have a fresh start, and know what I've already got on hand. Then I take the food ads, and plan a menu including Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners and Snacks for the next week, based on what's on sale that week. I use fruits and vegetables that are in season because they are generally more affordable, and usually taste better, and I stock up on sale items. So, if chickens are on sale for 77 cents a pound....or less....I may buy 6-10 of them, but not buy other meat. That doesn't mean that we'll only eat chicken, but I've built up a stock of frozen meats as they're on sale.

I also double & freeze recipes for nights I don't have time to cook.

I keep all of my weekly menus, & can put together a menu pretty quickly now, the first few are the hardest, but it's fun looking for new recipes.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Sit down and make a list on paper of everything your family likes to eat. I came up with at least 50 different meals that my family enjoys. Then go through your fridge, freezer and pantry and make a list of everything that is edible. Sit down and try to put together meals from that list. If you need one or two ingredients to finish out a meal, try to find it on sale in your store ads.

Meat doesn't have to be the centerpiece of each meal. Casseroles or skillet meals are money savers! Round out the meal with biscuits, bread or rolls and a tossed salad if you want. Please, be sure to get a good variety of vegetables in your meal plan.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2010