Engorged breasts, what should I do?

My baby is 2 days old. I am exclusively breastfeeding but now my breast are engorged and baby can't nurse it all out. I kinda want to leave them alone and just nurse on demand/every 3 hours but I'm afraid I'll lose my supply. If I pump/self express, won't it just prolong the engorgement? I'm at such a lost.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Encourage frequent nursing, every 3 hours is not enough (expect a minimum of 10 times in 24 hours the first few weeks). This will help you get over the engorgement and bring in a good milk supply. Avoid pumping if you can, it will stimulate an oversupply of milk (you should not expect to be engorged the first few months like on PP said, that usually means you have an oversupply.

Really good info on how to handle this initial engorgement, including how to get baby latched on when you are so full at Engorgement

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• If the baby is not latching properly because of the engorgement, you can pump or hand express enough to relieve some of the pressure and allow baby to latch. You can also pump what baby doesn't take after nursing for your comfort. Your supply right now is still hormonally driven, and in a few weeks will kick into supply and demand and you shouldn't have such an issue.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I was always told hand express or pump out just enough to relieve pressure and allow for the baby to breastfeed. Let the baby eat as much as they want, say like every 2 hours or so.....your body will regulate out...and don't worry, you won't be engorged for forever!
    Anonymous

• Do you mean that because your breasts are so engorged that your baby can't get a hold of your breast to nurse?? If that's what you mean, then pump or self-express just enough to ease the engorgement. That will allow your baby to get a hold of the breast & begin to nurse which will totally relieve the engorgement.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• you WILL be engorged for the first couple/few months. pump for relief, nothing more. stock up your freezer while you can mama. :)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I use to stand in the warm shower and it would just flow...let it do that until it releaves some pressure and then he can nurse...it will even out more in a few days...mine did anyways.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I put warm wash cloths on my breasts or took a warm shower. That helped a lot. It'll get better soon!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• When I had that problem and baby couldnt latch on I called my LC and got the best advice that helped! She told me to get big bowls (big enough to fit your breast in) and fill them with hot water (as hot as you can stand) and just lean over the bowl and soak your breast. Massage from the top to down toward your nipple. milk will start to flow and you can feel relief almost insatntly. This helped me more than the hot shower although she recommedned that too and hot washcloths.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jun. 17, 2010