How do you get the tweens and teens to show initiative and responsibility to do their chores, without being asked every single time the chore needs to be done?"

3 kids - each have three jobs to do

Coeykid

Asked by Coeykid at 8:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• Take privlages away... make them work for things! Most people dont like working... they work for a paycheck to buy things... I think it is great to show children hard work pays off instead of just handing them everything!
    Anonymous

• I started my daughter young being paid (allowance) for chores. No work,no money. She learned VERY quickly to do her chores or no allowance. Do not nag,beg,constantly reminding them. Either do your chores or pay the consequences.
    Anonymous

• I dont think you should have to pay a child to pitch in around the house. I dont mind doing something special - like a movie or getting a book or ice cream or something as a reward for consistently doing what is expected of them. I don't get paid to clean my house so I dont think the kids should. I do treat myself every once in a while for getting everything done consistently though. So, I would try teaching the kids this.

I would say they can't leave the house till their chores or done - or they can't watch tv or play video games or whatever works until their chores are done. And if you find out they didnt do one they said they did and were off doing the fun extra stuff, I would definately add a chore and/or take privledges away.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I would say make them volunteer in places where people arent s fortunate, and maybe then they will be more respectful and grateful for what they have and want to help take care of it!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2010