8 year old girl divorced her 28 year old husband.

I came across this today when I was doing a research project for my Sociology Class about social issues.

I'm am absolutely appalled. It is horrible that this actually happens in parts of the world. And people complain about 15 and 16 year old getting married to men their own age here.

This whole situation just makes me sick.

Thoughts??

http://www.imperfectparent.com/topics/2008/04/16/8-year-old-girl-gets-a-divorce/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This isn't that uncommon, unfortunately.
    And, to be honest, it's not that shocking, considering that in history, it was normal for children to be married to men three..four. five times their age, even starting off at the age of 4. It's history.
    Yes, it's appalling that some things still go on, but to the eyes of other countries, we're barbaric in some ways as well. It's culture, it's life.
    Anonymous

• And some people refuse to believe America is the best place on earth to live.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• This was in Yemin. I doubt they ever even met each other much less lived in the same house. The marriages in these cultures may take place and then the daughter return home to grow up and finish learning how to be a wife. We have to stop looking at the world through "American tinted" glasses. I don't want my child "married" at birth, but I also don't live in a region where this ensures food, money, etc. I just reserve the disgust until I find out if she ever actually lived with her husband.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I just don't even know what to say to that :( It is so sad.
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 8:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• at least he allowed her to get a divorce and didn't beat her or kill her i'd say.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I've done a little more research on this particular case in the last few minutes. She was only allowed to live with her mother after the divorce proceedings began.

Several articles about this said that the marriage was consimated.

I'm not sure where they got their info from but that's what I read.
    Anonymous

• What bothers ME is that we try to impose OUR culture and societal norms on everyone else in the world. While this practice is unheard of in American culture, it is common in certain parts of the world. It is not that different from an arranged marriage, which honestly (having 3 daughters, and seeing their boyfriends!) seems more and more like the way to go! But I wouldn't do that to my children. The thing is, we have to allow other cultures to keep their own cultural ways. They can't all be just like us, that would be a sad thing, in my opinion.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• 29, you are so right and I agree 100%!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Honestly, I'm going to express outrage at little girls being sold into marriage at the age of 8 and 9 to much older men regardless of it being someone's culture. If this is the case I remember - this little girl was sold into marriage because her parents needed the money and was repeatedly beaten and raped (of course, it's not rape if it's her husband even if she's 9 in some people's eyes). The majority of these VERY YOUNG girls are not kept at home to finish maturing. They go to live with their "husbands."

The good thing is that this is illegal in Yemen and she was able to obtain a divorce once she escaped her husbands family.

There is a book "I am Nujood, Age 10 and divorced" that details the case I remember.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 7:00 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• has anyone ever heard of the Irish Travellers?! They are an occult, con-artist group here in the UNITED STATES that arranges and marries off it's children in keeping with their rarely known traditions. Interesting article

Then there is the sect of Mormon Fundamentalists/Church of Latter Day Saints, here in the US that have been in the news recently for their religeous practices involving marrying their young children off.  Article

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2010