Why are people opposed to the use of Food Stamps to buy Organic Food?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Ok, so i have a friend. She has been on PA for 6 years. She can work. She doesnt want to. And she will tell you that. It makes me so mad cause shes always going to papa murphys and gettin pizza, going to the local butcher shop getting perreroni and jerkey as a treat for the kids every month (that stuff it 15.99 a pound! Not to mention that she spends her cash money on cigarettes and alcohol, etc. It makes me so mad. She is abusing the priveledge. That bugs me. A mother trying to just buy healthy food, does not.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• never heard of this problem...sorry, is there a link or an article about this?
    Anonymous

• No I think it is great, but the problem is organic food is expensive! I don't see a lot of people buying the organic food considering they have to make the amount they are allowed last for a month of food. Anything to help promote a healthy life style is great!

Anonymous

• Because I'm a tax payer who doesn't qualify for food stamps and I can't even afford to buy my family organic food because it's too expensive. I think that buying seeds and growing a garden is great though and I know food stamps will help with buying seeds. Also, you can buy nutritious food that isn't organic.
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 8:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Growing your own is better, and you KNOW that it is truly organic, that way. If that is what they want to do with it, they are entitled to. I wouldn't even want to begin to start telling people what they CAN and CAN'T buy with their FS. They know how much they get, and it is up to them to make it last as long as it needs to.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Because organic food costs at least twice what regular food does and like 8:45 said some people are jealous that while they work hard for what they do have they can't afford the luxury of exotic organic food (and yes most of Whole Foods is meant to be gourmet style) why should someone who's sitting around on the government dole getting to enjoy that privilege?
    Anonymous

• I'm opposed to Food Stamps period. I don't know of one person on food stamps who truly needs them. They're just lazy and have no excuse not to get a job.
    Anonymous

• I feed my DD 95% organic. I'm sorry but it is much better for her and that is that! The government pushes health so I will buy healthier food for my DD with government money!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Anon :30, you must know some pretty crappy people!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

Get a job and buy healthier food with your OWN money instead of MY money. Talk about crappy people.
    Anonymous