How can I get my 2 1/2 yr old to eat?

Just recently my son was put on antibiotics due to fever and and an ear infection. That was about 6 days ago. About 4 days ago he just stopped wanting to eat. I took him to the Dr. and she said that it was normal, just to make sure he took in liquids. I'm very worried though because today all he ate was an oatmeal cookie and that was it. He tries to eat, but once he tastes the food he throws it back out and says he doesn't want to eat.

sweetmomto3

Asked by sweetmomto3 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• that's around the age that they go through that not eating business...my dd did it and she went on like that for 2 weeks. surprisingly she didn't lose ANY weight! I wouldn't worry about it, even though I know you can't help it!!!! I was a wreck! DD would eat like 5 pieces of popcorn and a popsicle if that in a day.....they'll eat when they're hungry, and like I said, it's just a stage! hang in there! xo
    Anonymous

• Try not to make it an issue. If you do, you will create a picky eater. Offer the food and leave it up to him to eat or not. When it is snack or meal time again offer the items and leave it up to him. Don't get in the habit of "please baby eat this for mommy", or "do you want mommy to fix you something else" because you can create a monster that way. Kids learn quick how to get what they want. I am NOT talking about foods the kid just does not like either.. My kids don't like somethings and I avoid cooking them or I cook them but add other things to that nights' menu..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• if he's still on the meds it could be giving him a tummy ache. my DD is 2 and she frequently has days where she doesn't eat much (esp when not feeling good) and then she eats everything and all day for a few days. if you've discussed it with your pedi and they're ok with it then i wouldn't worry too much, he'll eat when he's feeling better/hungry. (BTW, most adults i know don't want to eat when they're sick, i know i don't!)
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 17, 2010