house warming party help

where are the best places to register?
what should i cook?
what should i put on my register?
where to get nice invitations?

jesslovesyou08

Asked by jesslovesyou08 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have never been invited to a house warming where they sent a "register" with the invite. I'm not sure how I would feel about that. I have been to house warmings, with the purchase of their first home, and took a little something. But that wasn't because I felt I had to. It was usually family and gave them something meaningful. Isn't a wedding more along the lines of registering for what you would like for your home?
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I'm afraid I agree that I've never been sent a "register" with an invite to a house warming. People often bring gifts, but generally a housewarming gift is a plant or a bottle of wine, or a small accent for your home, and I've never felt obligated to bring it. I have often offered to bring a dish.

As for the menu, it depends on what time of the day you are having the party, and how formal or casual you plan on making it. If it's a meal, I'd probably make something simple that could be made ahead and just heated and put out. Lasagna, a Salad, Garlic Bread and desert, A baked potato bar, or a summer BBQ with burgers, baked beans, potato salad, pasta salad, 3 bean salad, fruit and cookies. Or if it's evening, I'd probably do finger foods and appetizers, baby burritos, sausage balls, artichoke spinach dip with bread cubes, etc.,
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• 1. tacky to register
    2. make tons of finger foods; chips & dips, brownies, cookies, devilled eggs
    3.
    4. invite everyone to your housewarming brunch/ dinner/ for dessert & coffee, put the time and location. You can get invites at Hallmark stores.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:34 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I've also never heard of "registering" for gifts for a housewarming party. In fact, I was always taught that the purpose of a housewarming party is to show off your new place to the ppl you care about so that your "cold house" can become a "warm home" through the presence of family & friends. People bring small gifts if they want to, but it shouldn't be expected.

As for food, depends on if it is a breakfast/brunch/lunch/dinner/after-dinner type of party. Whatever you do, I'd definately make it buffet style w/finger foods, though, so people can mingle & walk around comfortably. Have a self-serve drink bar, too, w/whatever is appropriate to the time of day/type of food you're serving.

Try a card store or a party store for invitations or make your own on your computer.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:27 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I went to a house warming party where a bunch of us from work each chipped in $10 to buy the new homeowners a gift card to Home Depot--I think they ended up with over $200--which was enough to buy paint, and a few decorative accents.

Otherwise, it's tacky to ASK for gifts (or register).
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:20 PM on Jun. 17, 2010