How do I get my kids to stop wanting to snack?

The kids are out of school and all they want to do is snack. They do eat meals but still want to keep getting in my cabinets. It has become a real headache trying to keep them out of the snacks. Also when they snack they are making messes. I am tired and tired of cleaning up after them and staying in the kitchen all day. How do I stop them from this? I have all sorts of activities for them to do during the summer to keep them as busy as possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• 1, they will need a snack after school. I offer mine snacks. Then that is it until dinner (which is fairly early). You can keep them out of snacks by putting your foot down :-)
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I would put a bowl of snacks on the counter that are okay for them to eat, when those are gone, there are no more. I would also require that they clean up after themselves, if they don't then no snacks the next day.
    Popcorn is a great filling snack and is super cheap if you use an air popper. Fruit and veggies are great too.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Well my kids are young and tend to need permission but we have a schedule, so there are 2 times for snacking, POSSIBLY three if they stay up late.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My kids have to ask permission and they are only allowed to have a snack at reasonable times between meals. This usually equals 2 times. And I get to approve the snack. There is no coming in the kitchen and eating all day and leaving a mess. it is against the rules.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Rules? Designated snack times, designated snacks (with choices). We do one about half way between breakfast and lunch, and another one about half way between lunch and dinner. It's not unhealthy to eat snacks... if they're healthy snacks, it's actually better to eat a little 5 times a day.
    Anonymous

• Stop giving them snacks. Lay down the law and tell them "No more". Distract them with an activity.
    Hide the snacks if you have to or stop buying them.
    Your the parent, do your job.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• What kind of snacks do you have?

I rarely buy any snacks except for flavored rice cakes, granola bars, apples, bananas, cut up celery sticks, carrots, etc. With the rice cakes (those new ones in bags from Quaker are very, very good), they're allowed to have 1 serving size (8-9).

They're pretty much allowed to eat the fruits & veggies whenever they want.

If you only keep fruit or veggies on hand as snacks, then really it's not a problem if they only eat snacks all day long.
    AlteredMind

Answer by AlteredMind at 9:30 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Supervise them. Don't let them keep getting into things. Tell them "the kitchen is closed" until the next time you are going to let them having something to eat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jun. 17, 2010