How do I get my 6 wk old to be satisfied w/ a bottle and not immediately want the breast afterwards?

We give formula when it's inconvenient for me to nurse him and to get my husband involved w/ feedings. But he typically cries almost immediately after when I'm around since he wants the breast.

shem817

Asked by shem817 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• use a paci, as I think he is using you for comfort versus food. paci's get a bad rep but actually studies have shown that babies who use a pacifier have a 76% chance at NOT dying of sids. thats the only thing I can think of if you are going to continue back and ofrth, he may be confused and need a different bottle nipple. hang in there mom.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• perhaps you could invest in a nursing cover? breastfeeding should never be inconvenient, it's too good for the baby!!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Hes 6 weeks old and he knows whats is best for him... breast. Give it to him as often as you can!!!!
    Anonymous

• "Hes 6 weeks old and he knows whats is best for him... breast. Give it to him as often as you can!!"
    I agree!! He prefers the breast because it is the best thing for him. it is the healthiest, it is close to you (it IS you), it tastes better. There are other ways to involve dad with baby than with a bottle of formula. And no reason to give him formula when you are right there and can breastfeed him. Give that little sweetie what he wants! :)
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• What SoniaL said
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Yes, exactly what SoniaL & anon said - I don't see a time where nursing would be "inconvenient". That's silly. Baby is crying because you're denying him of the closeness he feels while nursing. Babies need that - especailly a 6 week old.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• i disagreewith the first pster. pacifiers are mommy substitutes not the other way around. suckling build your supply. your bagy is just fine. you are also lucky that you didn't cause latch issues or nipple confusion by bottling so soon. I would watch out still for bottle preference, just a friendly warning.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:29 AM on Jun. 17, 2010