Baby and swimming pool...

My daughter (who will be 8 months on Sunday) absolutely loves the swimming pool. My hubby and I have been bringing her for the past month or so (since it's been officially opened and maintained) and she can't seem to get enough of it. We began by holding her and teaching her to splash her hands. Then we got her a floaty. She liked the floaty, but seemed to get bored really easily. She preferred to be held because she could splash a lot easier. Now she's at the point where getting splashed doesn't phase her. She knows to keep her face out of the water (she learned the hard way by sticking her face in). She even started froggy-kicking her legs, which we now encourage by throwing a toy and holding her out, moving her towards the toy when she kicks and stopping when she stops kicking. I'm wondering, when is it okay to start using swimmies or similar flotation device? Her floaty does not offer enough movement for her to try & swim.

vileincarnation

Asked by vileincarnation at 9:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She is too young for swimmies.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• why is she too young? asking seriously not being a smarty? I answered as long as mom and dad are right there its fine. I have not heard anything regarding age limit for a child being held and closely monitored......
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Floaties/swimmies are a bad idea at any age. It gives baby/child a false idea of what it is like to be in the water, and tends to give the adults a false sense of security. The reality is an infant and toddler need a parent/adult holding them. Kids who have been used to being in floaties are more prone to accidents because they don't understand the reality of being in the water.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Same answer I posted in the post, I will post here....

Swimmies will not keep her in the upright position. She will either have to kick and keep her arms moving or she will tilt forwards or backwards. Swimmies are not designed to keep children of that age in the upright position. The child should have that strength before using them. Once she has that, the swimmies will only keep her from going under.. I would be careful using them on a baby. Maybe a life jacket type swimsuit would be a good fit, just shop around and see what you can find.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:02 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Thank you for all your answers!
    I have heard the false sense of security thing before, but maybe I should clarify from my original question.
    I am not looking for something to replace my close supervision. Even in her giant floaty, I (or my hubby) have always been in the pool right at her side. I wouldn't even completely let go of her. I'm simply looking for the next step from a floaty. She loves the water, and seems to have somewhat of an understanding of how to swim. I'm just trying to encourage that. She gets bored with the floaty and tries to pull herself out of it.
    vileincarnation

Answer by vileincarnation at 10:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2010