Baby and swimming pool... (cross-posted)

My daughter (who will be 8 months on Sunday) absolutely loves the swimming pool. My hubby and I have been bringing her for the past month or so (since it's been officially opened and maintained) and she can't seem to get enough of it. We began by holding her and teaching her to splash her hands. Then we got her a floaty. She liked the floaty, but seemed to get bored really easily. She preferred to be held because she could splash a lot easier. Now she's at the point where getting splashed doesn't phase her. She knows to keep her face out of the water (she learned the hard way by sticking her face in). She even started froggy-kicking her legs, which we now encourage by throwing a toy and holding her out, moving her towards the toy when she kicks and stopping when she stops kicking. I'm wondering, when is it okay to start using swimmies or similar flotation device? Her floaty does not offer enough movement for her to try & swim.

vileincarnation

Asked by vileincarnation at 9:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• as long as you are always right there, do it whenever. she sounds ready and babies evn younger than her learn to swim. good for her aand you, have fun and dont forget the sunblock! oh the floaties on her arms? be sure to check they are not cutting into her skin or inflated too tight. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Swimmies will not keep her in the upright position. She will either have to kick and keep her arms moving or she will tilt forwards or backwards. Swimmies are not designed to keep children of that age in the upright position. The child should have that strength before using them. Once she has that, the swimmies will only keep her from going under.. I would be careful using them on a baby. Maybe a life jacket type swimsuit would be a good fit, just shop around and see what you can find.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2010