Should I tell my kidsthe truth about Santa?

My youngest daughter has already told me he was not real so I told her she's not getting anything for christmas if she didnt believe. She says I believe but I know it was u & daddy buying our toys i just start smh & told her well I guess u want get anything this year. I mean doesnt having a belief in a holiday make things seem more magical?

kina803

Asked by kina803 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My Mom gave us a smirk that showed we were right but kept up the "charade" until we all moved out. :) She never really tried to convince and we usually had a smaller sibling to pretend for anyway up until we were all old enough. We do Santa and celebrate Saint Nicholas day even though we aren't religious. On Saint Nicholas day, we usually "adopt a family" go out together and shop for them, and then pick a toy also for toys for tots. My son isnt quite old enough but when I was little, my Mom gave us our allowance early right before Christmas and took us to the dollar store to pick out gifts for all of our family. I swear that was the most fun out of all. :) You really can have the best of both worlds.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• lol ohhh mama(hugs) thats sooo hard isnt it? when they bust that out? nah dont keep it going. I tried it and for a couple yrs my son was like"mom I am not stupid" I didnt realize I was coming across that way. the cats outta the bag sista, lol cant put it back. but you always have the easter bunny lol.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• not necessarily. We chose to not do the santa thing at all with our kids and they love Christmas and are very excited for it every year. It din't think it has less meaning or magic for them than kids who believe in santa.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• She knows, let it go lol... Just tell her the truth next time she asks and let her know that yes she will still get the same Christmas even knowing the truth. A lot of kids don't tell their parents they know the truth for fear of not getting gifts anymore..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I wanted to add that the magic, well we all think it comes from believing n santa, but yanno what it is?
    love.
    love is what makes it magic :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:01 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• "You're not getting anything for Christmas if you don't believe?" Great associate presents with the spirit of the Holidays. Even if you're not religious, which is fine, don't make it all about the presents. Presents shouldn't be the center of the holidays for any reason. It's become soo commerical anymore. Let them believe what they want to believe.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Santa is based off St. Nicholas! Explain the real meaning of him the saint! If you are not Catholic and dont believe in saints then i cant help you! St. Nicholas is about the spirit of giving not recieving! It is an important lesson, and the gift of the Maggi can go along with that!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• um... "you're not getting anythig" ugh... how about my mom's answer: I believe in Santa Clause b/c he represents the spirit of giving and that is def. real... so everytime you give or recieve, esp. when its in secret, you are part of the magic of Santa clause... she's 65 and still believes and so do I.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• wow some awesome ideas...my kids still believe but I often think about this and what I will say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I'm 30 and still believe in Santa. lol
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 5:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2010