When should you give the last cup of milk for the night?

Just stopped the bedtime bottle and am wondering if I should still give him a sippy cup w/ milk shortly before bed or give it to him around dinner time? Usually just give some water w/ dinner. Nighttime bottle was about 5 ounces of milk.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is almost 2 and still wants milk right at bed time. He sucks it right down. I would think if you brush his teeth twice a day this comfort is still okay. This is my opinion. It is a phase he will eventually grow out of.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I would think before you brush their teeth. DD's doctor said not to let them go to bed with a milk bottle b/c it's bad for their teeth.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 9:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• We cut off drinks after dinnertime but we go straight from dinner to bath to bed. Our reasoning is bedwetting though. I think, as long as you brush teeth before bed, whatever you decide should be fine.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 10:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• there's a difference between a cup of milk before bed and a bottle of milk in bed. when a child falls asleep with a bottle in their mouth, it frequently pools in the mouth, esp behind the back teeth. it causes cavities and ear infections. a cup before bed time, then followed by a bedtime routine is ok because it allows the child time to swallow the milk and for saliva to rinse the sugars (yes milk has sugar) from their mouth. we give my DD two sippys of milk a day, one as soon as she wakes up and one right before bed. the rest of the day is water or a mix of 90% water 10% juice.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 17, 2010