Godparents

My daughter just turned one a couple weeks ago and I regret who I made her godmother. The good thing is my daughter was not baptised yet because I don't go to church and was never baptised.

DD's godmother is no longer speaking to me and I'm not even sure why. She said she can't talk to me b/c I won't listen, but she didn't even try so I have no clue what I did wrong. When I asked if she was upset with me she told me I was a crappy friend b/c I never listen to her when she's upset with me. I had tried to contact her for at least a week and hardly even talked to her so I'm not sure what I did wrong and how I was listening.

Do your kids have godparents? Did you ever feel regret for who their godparents are?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm confused, you didn't have her baptised, or confirmed or dedicated....so how does she have a Godmother?
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I have a godmother but I wasn't baptised .. I didn't do it b/c I don't go to church but I wanted her to have that connection so I "named" someone her godmother. I have a godson but he is not baptised either.
    Anonymous

• Im with the pp... do you have plans on getting your dd baptised? if nothing is finalized then you can choose someone else to be the Godmother.

I put a lot of though into who I chose to be my sons Godparents.... but in the end it didnt matter... I chose my aunt and my brother. My aunt a couple years after we had my son baptised developed a bad drug habit and passed away last year of an overdose and my brother moved out of state and my son barely knows who he is now!

My husband and I talked about it and decided we were gonna choose new godparents, and asked his aunt and her husband to take over. They agreed and we had the papers drawn up... I feel much more satisfied with this decision because I know they take it seriously because they love our son and are unable to have children of their own!
    Anonymous

• I am kind of undecided if I want to offically do it. I would like to start going to church, but I haven't found one I like so I don't want to baptise her until I know for sure I picked a place I like.

And I suppose your right anon 10:05, I can still change it b/c it's not offical.
    Anonymous

• It depends what "denomination" you are looking at and how the Godparents are being viewed. For instance, in some cases the Godparents are to the ones who are their religious guidance, along with the parents and family. In some other areas it is who is to raise the child if something should happen to the parents. Keep in mind, your life and others will change over time. And if you are doing it for reasons of who will take care of them should I die, that is something that needs to be put in a will. It's not like you can say Hey, I'm their Godmother so I am raising them.... Understand what I'm saying?
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• No godparents here. We're atheist so no need for them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• 2blondebabies: i absolutely understand what your saying. That's why I have not looked into baptising her yet .. sooo many decisions and so many things to consider.
    Anonymous

• GodParents really don't matter. Illegally if something happens to you goodness forbid you will have to have in legal writting where and who you want your children to be with or they just go to family.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• claudi: i know that. but if I set godparents and something happened to me. I'd want them to raise my child. not because my mom is bad or wouldn't want to do it, but i would want my mom to just be grandma. i wouldn't want her to have to play mommy/daddy AND grandma. so once i offically set godparents, i'll need to set in my will that these are the people who will care for my daughter if something happens.
    Anonymous

• My kids don't have Godparents. My kids will go to my parents or one of my sisters if something happens to us both.
    If there's nothing legal on paper saying that your "friend" is her godparent, then it doesn't even matter.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:50 PM on Jun. 16, 2010