i feel heartbroken

My eight month old has a horrible cough that I think she got from my sister. I feel heartbroken when she starts up. Her eyes are watery and gunky. The pediatrician told me to give her a tiny drop (half a tsp) of generic benedryl. I just feel so bad for her.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• run a vaporizor and see if it helps the cough.if she isnt better by morning or if she starts to run a temp call your doc back. hang in there mama, its hard to see them sick I know.....
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I hope she feels better quickly. My son got sick this winter and was throwing up so much. He started knowing when he was going to throw up more and would grab onto me and make the saddest noises. It broke my heart every time.
    Anonymous

• oh anon that happened to me too! my baby was about 9 months and he would grab and moan...awful. his lil face!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• You can also use baby vix on her back and/or chest at that age. Along with the humidifier. It is no fun when they are sick the first time!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• The babyvix is a life saver. Hylands puts out a natural cough and cold that I'm almost 100% sure is safe for infants. We got it at Walmart. Best advice tho is just tlc. :)
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 10:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Aww I know what you mean. My daughter got really really sick last year when she was 1. She vomited several times a day and constantly coughed. I wanted her admitted into the hospital because she was just SOO sick and it was taking forever to get her better. I took her to the doctor and she was going to admit her but then the next day she finally started to get better.... It makes me feel helpless, I hope your little one gets better soon..
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 10:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I meant to say I took her to a different doctor. She had of course been seeing one the whole time she was sick.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 10:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Humidifier for the cough. Try elevating the head of the crib mattress.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 11:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Careful with the Hylands Cough (the natural one that another poster suggested). There MAY be more then one kind, but the kind we have here has honey in it, so it would not be safe for a child under 12 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:13 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I agree with new mom.. try and raise the crib to stop the nasal mucous going down her throat. if you dont have a humidifier close the bathroom door and run the hot water so it steams up the room. try and use vicks put a bit on her shirt so she can smell it. I use Manuka Honey for my lil ones cough. It says it snot recommended under 12 months but its an all natural medicinal honey and I was advised by a health professional that it was ok to give in small doses. ( a tip of your finger) otherwise just try and keep feeding fluids and lots of cuddles. good luck
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 9:26 AM on Jun. 17, 2010