Unless it is an emergency, why do doctors "chose" to do a c-section? No debate, please.

I'm really wondering why they would opt to do a c-section if it isnt' an emergency. One of my friends is a week past her due date and her doctor told her he is going to do a c-section on Monday if nothing has 'happend'. She is a first time mom and very ill-informed, but holy cow, that seems incredibly extreme. He said that the baby is already about 9 lbs, which is why they are going to do it.. it just doesn't make sense.

Anyone out there have something like this happen, and what was the reason? I just worry about her having a longer recovery time, when she doesn't necessarily have to. :-/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think she's as stupid as the doctor if she is going to let him do that to her. What happened to mom's being informed?
    Anonymous

• Doctors do this because they get more money for performing a c section and because it is more convenient for their own schedules.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My mom had my sister more than 30 yrs ago- My sister was tangled in the u-cord (around her neck) so they did a c-section.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• No, and I think that doc is an idiot....at least induce her or something don't just cut her open!
    Anonymous

• I'm the OP: Anon :08 that is EXACTLY what I said. I mean, don't get me wrong, if a c-sec is needed, its needed, by all means, do it, but I don't understand why this guy was like, "Well, you're not dilated at all, so if nothing happens by Monday we're gonna cut ya open." I just don't understand it. And she didn't seem like she knew she had an opinion in the whole thing (which of course she does!)
    Anonymous

• Maybe the doctor thinks inducing would be dangerous for her or the baby. Lots of inductions end up as c sections because they turn into emergencies. If shes over due it could be bad for the baby... it starts getting dangerous after the due date. My doctor on the other hand.. hes against inductions before 39 weeks and even dislikes them before 40 weeks. And he'll only due a c section if he must.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 10:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Some pregnancies have complicated pregnancies, and though the mother could try to go natural, it would be more benificial to do a C-Section. HOWEVER, the real reason that most doctors opt for C-section is because it gets them more money. The procedure and the extra hospital time means more money for them. Watch "The Business of being Born" A Rikki Lake documentary.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Because it's the woman's body & baby and what is done to it is her choice at the end of the day - not the doctors.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• my son was also almost nine pounds and i had not dilated enough so they decided to do a c-section
    lendales_mommi

Answer by lendales_mommi at 4:50 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• it sounds like the dr is a total jerk... inductions can take a while to put you into labor so some drs just give a c-section so they are in and out not having to wait for you to deliver.....
    Anonymous