what are somelong term problems for children born addicted to heroin?

was just wondering... i have a small child who spends alot of time around a child that was born addicted to heroin (or so i was told).. was wondering what the long term effects were for this child, and if they could affect my daughter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Health

• There is really no way that could effect your daughter in any way.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I agree with the pp. I don't think it is directly going to affect your daughter. If anything I hope your daughter is a good friend, and this other child now has a healthier environment to grow up in.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I am not sure. Was he separated from his mother at birth or after? Reading up on children taken from their birth parents sometimes (often) deal with attachment issues, plus I would research anger management, in case the heroin withdrawl causes anger (guess if this child was older).
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:07 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• how would it affect your daughter? That is uneducated, like saying a child with aids will give it to your child by sharing toys! Silly! But there are so many problems that child could have, look it up to learn more, for your sake!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• there shouldn't be any...depends IF the idiot hospital messed the baby up when it was born and did not detox it correctly, the heroin will not likely have any lasting effects but the care received after the birth could effect the child, but how that child could effect yours? I would not worry....Tx you are right about the attachment issues I know from personal experience through my family, the attachment issue is most real and it was caused by the hospital, not the heroin...despite most being lovely some NICU nurses are truly evil to helpless ill babies and think by punishing the babies they are punishing the mother...it is sick. the baby I knew was blindfolded, had ear muffs, wrapped so tight in a blanket and had his little hands tied down as a newborn by the NICU nurses who would let NO one hold him.
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 6:33 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I don't have any experience with kids born addicted to heroin, but both of my kids were exposed to meth during the pregnancies and my son was born with it in his system (we adopted them from two different women who are long-time addicts). DD is 5 1/2 and is a very sweet girl, but she is sort of hyper-irritable. She does great with other kids now (not so great from about 1 1/2 to 4 yrs old). The problems usually come out when she doesn't like the decision of the person in authority, usually me or her dad. She might react inappropriately when we send her to her room, for example. My son does great with other kids so far (he's almost 2). He's just not saying much yet.

I don't agree with JoLee that it could never affect another child. Previous posters are right that there can be anger management issues. I would just watch the kids' interaction as you would with any other child.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2010