Do you agree with schools banning Silly bandz?

My daughter loves silly bandz. Though I hear some schools are banning them because they are a "distraction". If clothing and accessories are a distraction then I think the schools should have uniforms. Otherwise I see no reason to ban something like this. What happened to just telling the kids "Hey time to pay attention." If you didn't you got your items taken away and you didn't get them back till the end of the school year. We learned pretty quickly to either not get caught or not mess with things while in class. When did avoiding issues become better than teaching responsibility?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 10:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids are older, so I haven't dealt with the silly bandz, but after watching the video, I have to agree with you about teaching kids responsibility. I do think that some things should stay out of school, and I don't know enough about silly bandz, to say that I would get rid of that item. I don't think peanut butter should be banned, are they going to ban grass on the playground because I'm allergic to grass? When I was in the 6th grade a broke out in hives because a girl opened a bottle of perfume in the classroom. Does that mean no one should be allowed to where perfume.....of course not. That's simply ridiculous. Kids do need to be taught to behave appropriately in the classroom, and even when I was a kid....a long, long time ago, we couldn't take toys to school, unless they stayed in our locker until playtime, and didn't cause a problem. If there was a problem we weren't allowed to bring them back........
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• http://whoknew.news.yahoo.com/

Here's a link to the silly bandz being banned in schools.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Who cares if schools ban them. They really don't need them at school anyway.
    Anonymous

• My kid goes to a school that requires a uniform. I am really happy about it. This school is a very academic school and they try to limit distractions.
    I think silly banz are something that kids do not need at school, they are a distraction. YEA! To schools that are trying to limit distractions and actually teach kids. WOOHOO!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• See I don't see why they are a distraction. I see them as any item worn on the body as adornment. The fact that kids like to trade them opens up communication and helps them make friends. If helping my daughter socialize costs me a couple bucks so be it.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• It isn't about kids socializing, it is about class room management. Teachers are already working hard, why give your kid a TOY that they can and will mess around with during class. If you do not believe your kid will be playing with them during class, then you are out of touch with how kids act. Kids look for any distraction available. Silly Banz are different than other body adornments because they are so easily taken off an put back on. They are not like shirts or shorts that would cause a scene is removed, they are small and easy on and off.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I think that is the problem, they are too busy trading them and talking about them rather than paying attention to the teacher. My girls love them but are no longer allowed to wear them to school either. I agree that they need to just be told to pay attention rather than banning them all together.
    Anonymous

• See thats the thing. If kids in the 80's could learn how to be responsible with their items then so can kids today. The problem is we avoid issues rather than using issues as a way to teach.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• eh... I think if they should be allowed to bring them to school but only allowed to 'play' and trade them at certain times like recess or lunch...May be even have to keep them in their bags until it is a 'good' time... It seems silly to ban them completely.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:34 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I know a lot of jelly bracelets were being ban because kids were associating them with their sexual conquers. Each color meant you had gotten to a certain "Base" with your partner. Black meaning that you've had sex. I read that's why they were banning silly banz too, or whatever theyr'e called.

Schools need to teach the students that asseccories and clothing materials aren't the focus of schools. However, the main "Teacher" needs to be the parents. Parents need to crack down on what their children get away with as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2010