Why is it...

if someone doesn't like a Protestant (or if you prefer, Christian) they're prejudiced and if they don't like Catholics or JW's or Jews or Muslims they just have "a conviction"?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Good question. Wish I had an answer.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Um, I don't know. But, hey, thanks!!
    Anonymous

• ...or Pagans
    Terranova

Answer by Terranova at 11:41 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Well do you mean specifically Protestant; or do you really mean 'general Christians'? One is a generalization and the other would be specific dislike; one would assume for specific reasons. There are more than just Protestants; there are Baptists; Episcopalians; Lutherans; Presbyterians; etc...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• There are more than just Protestants; there are Baptists; Episcopalians; Lutherans; Presbyterians; etc...

Baptists, Episcopalians, Lutherans etc ARE Protestants. Catholics, JW's, and Mormons are Christians, as are Protestants. The thing is, there are quite a few Protestants who seem to think only they are allowed to call themselves Christians, and only they are allowed to be offended if someone disagrees with their religion. Disagreeing with one of the other branches of Christianity or a completely different religion is just "a conviction" when they do it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:59 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I don't think it is that they "dislike" the people in those religions specifically I think it is probably that they disagree with much of the doctrine of those religions. Not sure who the "they" is that you speak of though. Not sure if this is a real question or if it is just more of the same Christians vs. Everyone Else that is seen to ad nauseam on this forum.

natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 10:01 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Baptists, Episcopalians, Lutherans etc ARE Protestants. Catholics, JW's, and Mormons are Christians, as are Protestants.
    *****

But they are their own denominations. They are not the same.
    http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/denominations.htm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Just goes to show their true colors.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I think it's a case of "I" can call my brother or sister a name but the neighbor better not not call "my" brother or sister a name!!!

I think as long as a group stays within the framework of the "doctrine" they can be baptist,Lutheran.....ect and insult back and forth and it's ok. step outside that and it's a whole nother game......

I was told once that JW during WWII in Germany were put in concentration camps by God as a punishment for not obeying when told to go to war, this by an American "Christian".....
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

But is it really a case of "brother and sister" when the one with "the conviction" insists the Catholics, JW's etc are not Christians at all?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2010