How can I break the habit of breast feeding my 9-month-old to sleep without upsetting my baby?

I am concerned that my baby will receive the wrong message that she has done something wrong and is being punished. I want to protect her teeth and I want her to be able to fall asleep without the breast and/or needing to nurse to sleep during the night.

lovemygr8girls

Asked by lovemygr8girls at 10:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• anon that was uncalled for. The truth is though, you probably aren't going to be able to break her of that until she weans. you can take a wet wascloth and clean her gums and teeth after nursing though. just do it gently and have the washcloth on hand when you start nursing so it's less disruptive and you can do it while still holding her.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• BM wont damage you LOs teeth.
    She will need to eat through the night until she doesnt anymore. You really cant do anything to speed that up. She will learn to go to sleep on her own when she's ready. What you are talking about doing is hard, and stressful, and I dont think you are going to find any of the benifits you are looking for.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I say give it some time. I nursed all of my kids to sleep every night until they were at least a year old. As far as I'm concerned it is a great way to get them to sleep!
    Breastmilk does NOT cause tooth decay. You want to make sure you brush her teeth so no food form earlier in the day is left on her teeth, as that can cause decay, but breastmilk alone will not. You can safely nurse her to sleep and during the night w/o worrying about her teeth.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Breastfed babies don't get bottle-mouth.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:35 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• People who say hurtful things usually list themselves as anonymous for a reason - they are cowards. To the other women who responded, thank you kindly for your advice. I breastfed my older daughter until she was 2 and 1/2 years old, and truly enjoy the breastfeeding experience. My dentist told me the reason my daughter ended up needing oral surgery for tooth decay was because I breastfed her to sleep in spite of religiously brushing her teeth after every meal and regular feeding as well as wiping her teeth with a wet facecloth after night feedings. I am concerned that the same thing will happen with my next child. For me, breast feeding has been a wonderful experience with both of my daughters, and I enjoy soothing my child to sleep. I just want to avoid oral surgery for her if possible.
    lovemygr8girls

Answer by lovemygr8girls at 6:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2010