Are so many people seriously lacking a conscience on this site?

I see so many questions about food stamps tonight. I don't get them personally, but I feel really sorry for the moms on here who do who are made to feel ashamed for it. The bashing is disgusting. I can't believe people are lecturing that a family on food stamps shouldn't be able to buy a pack of cookies! I mean, really?! Is your opinion SO strong on this issue that it's worth making other people feel like crap? Don't you have any guilt or compassion? I may not personally know any of the moms on this site, but it would STILL bother me when I went to sleep at night if I knew I had intentionally made someone actually feel bad about something I had said. This is more of a vent, sorry. My sympathies to the moms getting bashed who might very well be VERY nice people.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Thank you! As a military family, we appreciate that you try to understand! And i can buy whatever i want, and i will, and that will NEVER change! So to those who want to be ass's about it, boo on you and i hope if you need assisstance one day that you recieve hell for it! And that was a very unholy thing for me to say, and i am sorry, but it is so true!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I'm going to SRS next week with my friend to apply for food stamps, childcare assistance, medicaid, and other assistance. I'm not proud of it but I have to. I'm in a home where he insults me and tears me up emotionally. I can't take much more and I need to get out. I'm working and going to school full time so the help is much needed. I'm not for abusing the system but if you truly need help, that's what it's there for.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Amen, Thank you!!! Honestly it wasn't always like this. When I joined this site 3-4yrs ago everyone was very caring to each other. It only changed in the last yr or so. I get bashed all the time and I've just learned to ignore it. It's sad when people do because obviously they aren't going through what another mom is and think it's wrong. I would just try and ignore it because some people just don't get it.....
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• To be perfectly honest, cookies and junk food are nothing that need to be bought with food stamps. Period. When people who work and are not on FS don't get to buy the extras, that says a lot. Personally I can't imagine being on FS and having the nerve to complain about anything. I have seen post after post lately "I only get $300, $400, $500 a month for food for me and my boyfriend and our kid." Boo hoo. My husband is supporting the four of us on one check while I'm in school and we spend about oh, $200 a month for food. We don't get assistance. Then again we were raised to believe people only apply for help when they are actually disabled, extremely ill or homeless. What I find digisting is the same thing gets posted every few months whenever someone finds out others aren't thrilled to not only support them but their junk food habits too. You're not supposed to like being on FS. The old rules need to come back.
    Anonymous

• To be perfectly honest, cookies and junk food are nothing that need to be bought with food stamps."

Good thing you're not in charge then, huh? Good thing you don't have any say what anyone buys, huh?

What I find digisting is the same thing gets posted every few months whenever someone finds out others aren't thrilled to not only support them but their junk food habits too. "

First of all, are you trying to say "disgusting"? If so, how is it disgusting to stand up for those who are being put down? I never asked anyone to support anyone...I'm only saying that it's MEAN to make others feel bad. That's a lesson I learned when I was 2 years old. And another thing...a package of cookies isn't a "junk food habit".

LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I think it's because there are a lot of people out there that abuse the system that most people now have an intolerance for anyone using assistance of any kind.

Don't get me wrong, if you need it you need it, and I see nothing wrong with that. But I know of people who've abuse the system (and yes I've turned them in) and it really doesn't make anyone look good when you sit there doing crack while your children starve, or you spend all your FS money on junk food, rather than good healthy food. I could go on with the people that abuse it and how they do.

Yes I know people that need it and use it properly and I feel for them. But I also can see why a lot of people just get to the point where they get fed up.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:22 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Anon :17, Ok I do not buy any junk on FS AT ALL!!! BUT I think that FS should be for people who need it. Just because you think just because I am not homeless, ill, or disabled I should not get PA does not make it right! I am still NOT able to to work as much as I would love a reason to get changed, to wash my hair or put on make up. I would love talking to a grown up in person pnce in a while! It would be great! I also wish my DD got away from the house a bit more and had friends(she's 2) but right now that is NOT POSSIBLE! Big difference between not WANTING to and not being ABLE to!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Don't get me wrong, if you need it you need it, and I see nothing wrong with that. But I know of people who've abuse the system (and yes I've turned them in) and it really doesn't make anyone look good when you sit there doing crack while your children starve, or you spend all your FS money on junk food, rather than good healthy food. I could go on with the people that abuse it and how they do.
    "

I understand exactly what you're saying, and it is horrible that some people abuse the system. I suppose my point was that we have no way to KNOW on here whether or not someone truly is or isn't abusing the system...and I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt that they're the honest kind. I'd hate to make a mother feel shameful for something that she truly has no choice but to take in order to feed her children. As a parent, I can't imagine anything worse than my child going hungry. I feel for those moms that deal with this.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• "I suppose my point was that we have no way to KNOW on here whether or not someone truly is or isn't abusing the system...and I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt that they're the honest kind."

most times we don't know, but I've seen a few mom's post questions discussing their personal lives too deeply, and some of them pretty much are just asking for it.

However like I said, most of the times we don't, and therefore we shouldn't. We can only really talk about those we know about.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I just got on. I will have to go look for those questions. I post anonymously now because of all of the bashing. I just posted a question last night about how I was sad because I had to give up my dog(the dog has been aggressive towards the kids and he finally bit my son). I had a really mean reply stating how my dog is probably being used for fighting, or sold to science etc. I'm really starting to hate this site.
    Anonymous