Why do black people age more gracefully than white people?

Just curious? I've met some older black women that said they were in their 60's and 70's but they looked 40.

Is dark skin not prone to wrinkling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I've never noticed this. However, I do think men of any race age much more gracefully than women.
    Anonymous

• I think it just depends on the person. I've seen it happen both ways.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I think it just depends on the person. My grandma is white and is almost 80. She looks about 60 in my opinion. I know that I look young for my age as well and I am white. My sister is white as well, but naturally dark complected due to some native american on her dad's side of the family and she actually tends to look older than her age - some people say older than me and she is 3.5 years younger than I am.

I have also seen men who age horribly....so I dont know that its fair to base graceful aging on race or gender.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• Idk about race but Men defiantly age more gracefully then women, that just a know fact.
    Anonymous

• They look younger because of coloring, but health wise is a totally different ballgame. Blame it on genetics.
    Anonymous

• i really think it has something to do with how much time is spent under the sun. most caucasians at some point sit in the direct sun light or something similar in order to tan, we african americans avoid the sun like the plague. and i have heard research about wrinkles and looking older as an effect of too much sun exposure. like seriously lol, maybe that can be what you are noticing.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• I also think it has to do with sun exposure. African americans don't spend half their lives tanning and ruining their skin like we do. Lucky ducks!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• genetics...my kids are 1/2 black so hope they get his genetics. My hubby mom has beautiful skin! BUT I actually look younger than my age. My mom looks so old and I balme that on drinking, tanning and smoking. I do none of those things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Haven't you heard? "Black don't crack." Really. I was told this very same by an older black gentleman, he was 46. But he looked 28! He asked my age so I told him then asked him his. I couldn't believe he was 46 at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Like a couple other said I think it has to do with their skin being less susceptible to sun damage and they're a lot less likely to spend as much time "tanning".
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:24 AM on Jun. 17, 2010