Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Support

I called the attorey geeral office over a moth ago, with informatio as to where my ex was workig. I called back two / three week later to check as I was iformed that o oe had eve looked at it. BUT they would send a e-mail to someone else. I wait aother week - call again. They say, Oh someone just called 30 miutes ago to verify employment, but had to leave a message and they'll call back. I waited another two weeks (today) I was told that the employer never called back and that the state did not have this company's ID number, so they'll have to wait for them to call back with that number so they ca process the with-holding. WHAT?
I don't understand, employers do back-ground checks on new employee's, call references, in some cases get credit scores.
WHY can't there be a national data base to check for dead-beat parents?
I don't understad with today's technology...


Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jun. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • What state do you live in? In my state, the Child Support Enforcement will do an employee locate to find where someone works. After that, the employer has a certain amount of days by law to respond to request for income withholding notice. If the employer does not comply, the employer can get in trouble.

    Answer by lawmom27 at 12:23 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • I'm in Texas. They just keep saying "oh, well, let me forward it to so and so.." I feel like if I'd never called - they'd never do anything. Which makes me think of those parents that have given up on system or those parents who don't have any information to give about the ex...
    I'm sure there are thousands or millions of single parents out there that could use the child support.
    It also, upsets me that if something were to happen to him, not that I want anything to happen to him. BUT the government would send me a check every month garenteed - his social security. BUT sense he's still alive but missing. It's okay for use to struggle.
    I'm in the middle - make too much for food stamps or any other help but we're living hand to mouth basicly.
    ALL for an ID number the state cannot find... I don't get it...

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • Im assuming you have a court order from a judge for the amount he should be paying you correct? YOu can motion up the support case in front of the judge, have him served to appear in court, and request that he provide his employer's information. IF they can't find an employer ID number someone else can. You know the name of his employer right?

    Answer by lawmom27 at 12:38 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • i gave them the name, address and phone number. Even the names of the owners. Yes, we've been divorced sense 2002.
    My kids and I will be okay, this situation has me thinking about other single parents out there, as well. Just wondering, why there can't be some better way of tracking parents who are behind on child support. He is in contempt of court, why not follow up on it. Right now, if he was pulled over for speeding or running a red light - Nothing would be flagged to where he is. Why let the back support grow to who know what amount - AND then wait for the court system to try to do something with the money, he's already spent. In my case he's close to $30,000 behind in payments.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • I'm in NY. it took 4 mo

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • I live in San Antonio and it took child support three months to attatch his check AFTER they had all the info they needed. Try going to the child support office in person. Be nice but be persistant. Also if he frequently changes jobs you will need to get the new info for them every time.
    If he consistantly refuses to pay child support will take him to court. The judge will put him in jail until he pays up. But he will also have the option of spending 6 months in jail instead of paying. This recently happened to a friend of mine. Hers oppted for six months in jail instead of paying.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • How does spending six months in jail help the kids - that's is so wrong! He get free room and board, free food etc. For not helping to support his kids... Wow

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2010