Is Buddhism a religion?

And if it is not, is it possible to be Buddhist and Pagan at the same time?

- Faithful4ever

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Buddhism is not a religion it is more of a philosophy. We do not belive that the buddha was in anyway a god and when we bow to a statue it is out of respect not worship. You can definatley be both a Buddhist and a Pagan and questioning both buddhism and other religions is encouraged. I am still new to buddhism but i am willing to help if you are intrested in it.
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Buddhism is a religion. Sure you can be a Pagan and a Buddhist. You can do whatever you want...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• It can be a religion or a philosophy; whatever you want it to be.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:29 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I believe it is a religion - it is widely accepted as a religion, and I do believe it is one, yet I still believe its possible to be a Buddhist and a Pagan (or Christian or whatever else) at the same time. In China, for example, most people are Buddhist, Confucius, and Taoist (all of three are usually considered religions).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• blah, lol Confucian - I'm still a little groggy.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:19 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Generally Buddhism is ranked among world religions. However, it does not contain elements that are central to many other religions, such as a requirement to believe in a specific deity (or any deity), or veneration of the founder as divine, or a requirement to foresake other spiritual paths. It's very possible to practice Buddhism while worshipping any God, or no god, or a pantheistic version of God (that's me- a pantheistic Buddhist.) The fundamentals of Buddhist (Four Noble Truths and Noble Eightfold Path) are philosophical in nature and can be practiced by anyone of any belief, so in that sense it's very possible to be Buddhist and Pagan, or Buddhist and Christian, or Buddhist and Jewish, and so on...
    I'm kind of a philosophical Buddhist myself because I'm really not drawn to the trappings of organized religion at all. I practice Buddhism in my daily life but don't want the holidays, to go to temple, etc. Works for me
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:59 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I think its listed as a religion but is really more a philosophy of life and how one should strive to live it,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:07 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Pagans were a religion a long time ago before Jesus. They may still exist but they are NOT Christian.
    Anonymous

• Pagan is STILL a religion anon. and i know they aren't Christian because i am one. i didn't even ask that.

- Faithful4ever.
    Anonymous

• Buddhism can be a religion or not, depending on how it is practiced. And yes, you most certainly can be both Pagan and Buddhist!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 8:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2010