"When I was a kid"

Were you treated this way growing up? As though if you stated your opinion and *happened* to not like something, someone threw out the term "entitled"? Like "Oh, kids these days all think they're entitled to things". I mean, I understand that the easier everyday life gets the more inconveniences you'll run into if, say, your electric goes out: thus (maybe) more irritation with a circumstance. But I just have to laugh when I'm having a conversation with someone older than me who is talking about "kids these days", and their parent, who just happens to be sitting there, is like "Oh, shut up, when you were younger, you were the exact same way"!
Did you have people say that to you? And were they ever people who actually complain A LOT more than you do?

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 12:37 AM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have a feeling that every generation heard the same thing from the one before them, haha! I'm sure I'll be using the "When I was a kid" phrase one day with my son, lol! I do know exactly what you're saying, though, and it annoys me too! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:40 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• "When I was a kid I had to walk 5 miles to school UPHILL both ways in 4 feet of snow with no shoes."
    My Dad actually said that to the kids one day and I was cracking up. Classic. (funnier when you know my dad's elementary school was across the street from the house I grew up in)

But I agree with PP...every generation thinks the next generation has it easier and complains more. I know I do. My kids have so much crap (cable, internet, cellphones, video games...although they don't actually, physically HAVE all these things yet but they are available) and they take it all for granted. They whine about having to walk a mile or carry things or find something to do that doesn't involve electricity. Geesh.
    Of course, my dad can turn around and say he didn't have dishwashers, AC, microwaves or color TV when he was a kid...
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:13 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I think a lot of the responsibility lies with the parents. I mean, don't buy your kid a tv with a remote and then get mad when they look for the remote to change the channel instead of "walking over to turn it" themselves! Don't put your one year old in front of the newest technology/toy to entertain slash BABYSIT them and then get upset when they would rather do that than spend time with you! And DON'T, for GOSH SAKES, be snobby to the degree that you teach your small child not to wear ANY KIND of generic clothing, and then get mad when they demand expensive clothes when they're older! And when you do all those things, don't BLAME IT ON THEIR ATTITUDE!
    Not talking to anyone, just venting about some people I've met IRL.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 1:33 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• one day not to long ago my grandson came home from a shcool trip said to his mom they made us walk 15 miles she looked at him and said up hill in the snow with one boot and no water he look at her like she had lost her mind and just walked away i know he was very annoyed with us but we both found it to be very funny and one day i will bet he will say the same thing to his kid and LOL
    rosel1122

Answer by rosel1122 at 4:20 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• leo tolstoy a russian, wrote about this in anna karenina over 100 years ago. maybe all cultures during all times have done this!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2010