I need an answer... or somthing that make sense

My son self weaned from the breast at about 10 months. Ever since he has claimed my boobs as his, and at 2 and a half he's still doing it. He doesn't try to nurse, but he does put his hands down my shirt and on my breast. Is this normal? He does it often and when I take his hand off and tell him "mommys boob, that's not nice" he says "no, baby's boob" and puts his hand back. He does it all the time, when we're sitting and watching T.V., when we're out and about and I'm carrying him, even when we are eating. Is this a form of comfort? How do I break him of it? It's very embarrassing when we are out in public, I think it would be different if I were still nursing but I'm not. :( Help Please

Retay

Asked by Retay at 2:02 AM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't see how that's embarrassing. Your son knows what boobs are. My son does the same thing. He says "Blake's boobies." It's cute.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:12 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• :) it's embarrassing becasue I'm very large busted and he pulls down my shirt. I'm kind of a modest person so it embarrasses me . Thanks for answering :)
    Retay

Answer by Retay at 3:29 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Its TOTALLY a comfort thing. If it were my daughter doing this, which she is starting to do...I would allow her to do it at home, but out in public I wouldn't. Just because i don't want people to see my boob and i have a large bust like you do lol. Or if you don't want him to do it at all. Just keep telling him, "No, you can't do that sweetie." And then just occupy him with something else.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:09 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• It's all about comfort for him. As a society we tend to think about breasts as something sexual - but for him it was food, closeness, relaxing and comforting. I have long hair and so holding and touching my hiar was a comfort for my children - they did it while breastfeeding and continue to do it. Now hair is much less embarassing than breasts - but it's the same idea. And as a large chested person myself who is also modest, I get how embarrassing it can be. So I would just keep telling him "no, you cant do that" and then try to give him an alternative - holding your hand or give him some other lovey or something. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I agree.. it has nothing at all to do with anything sexual. He remembers what they were for. For a two year-old, your whole body belongs to him still! (I have to remind my 3 year-old that my body is mine and that it actually has feelings in it so is not to be stepped on, kicked while she's doing acrobatics...). You could start by telling him that we don't touch anybody (mom, dad, siblings, friends) under their clothes... that's a good rule they can wrap their minds around.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2010