is it ok for a 1 year old to play alone?

she would sit in her crib all day and play with toys if i let her (wich i dont) but am i a bad mom for letting her play alone a few hours a day? i keep an eye on her and will go in and throw a ball around or something but she is very content and happy just playing and watching tv...

how much is to much to let her do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't let her watch TV... and I wouldn't leave her in the crib even if she's content... but if you have things to do and she's happy playing with her toys in the room by you then I don't see a problem with it, I think kids need to learn to entertain themselves. Just make sure you make time for her and play with her too.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:20 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I let my daughter watch some tv, little cartoons she loves. just make sure she isnt watching TOO much of it. and its fine if she plays by herself sometimes i lvoed playing by myself when i was little. barbies, house, whatever "game" i made up lol. but i also loved doing stuff with my mom and sisters and friends. Just make sure its all equal.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:17 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Every kid is DIFFERENT! You are her mother do what you feel is best! People told me that if i let my dd watch tv before she was three it would affect her devolpment and she is 4 now and the smartest little girl! you know whats best...I think it is good for her to sit alone for a hour or so everday it teaches her independence!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:38 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• My dd's 13 mo & plays by herself when I'm doing stuff around the house. She's got free run of the living room & all her toys so she'll entertain herself for hours!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:24 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• doesn't every only child play alone???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I don't understand why she can't be in the crib if she is content? My kids all played by themselves at that age. I would put them in crib to play if I was putting their laundry away or even use a play pen for when I was cleaning the bathroom, getting dinner ready or something. Non of them ever minded and there is nothing wrong with it. It is good for them to play alone and their own space.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Can she be in the same room with you and play alone? I never left my daughter alone in her crib when she was awake. Too many safety issues.
    Sasha51

Answer by Sasha51 at 8:38 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• It's great that she can play by herself! I would back off the TV and let her use her imagination more but other than that, there is nothing wrong with you using that time to do some cleaning or working. Just remember to check in on her and give her some time with you. However, you should refrain from letting her play in the crib. If she continues, she will begin to associate the crib with playtime and not naptime or bedtime. You need to be careful of that. But, all in all, you're doing just fine. Good moms worry about these things, bad moms don't even care enough to ask. Keep up the good work, momma!
    jessflynn

Answer by jessflynn at 9:05 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Its good that shes's content enough to be able to play on her own. I wouldn't leave her in the crib though. If she could play on her own on a blanket in the living room or something, I think that would be great. Babies need to get excercise and learn how to be mobile and explore thier environment. I don' think the tv being on is bad either, most babies don't pay all that much attention to it anyway. I have the tv on PBS practically all day just for the noise and my daughter only stops to pay attention to it if Elmo starts talking or a song comes on...she likes to dance,lol.
    A mom can get lots of things done in the house having a content baby! lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:54 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Man, I wish my daughter could enertain herself more.
    its almost impossible to get anything done around the house etc. (she is 14 months)
    Don't get me wrong, I am a working mom, so my time with her, and playing with her is very precious.
    But when i am trying to get dinner together, or something like that...it turns into Mama mama, mama, mama...LOL.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:05 PM on Jun. 17, 2010