Just curious....

So, waaaaaay back when, I had horrid depression, like to the point I tried killing myself a few times. I also used to cut. Sometimes you are just hurt so bad and so deep that the only way you can feel anything is to run a blade across your skin. Now I know why I did it, the emotions, the problems, the NEED behind it but so many people think that cutting is purely for attention. I don't understand how they could think that. I know some people SAY they cut for attention but how could you really think someone would inflict that kind of pain on themselves just for attention? Do people just not understand it? Do they not understand the raw emotion and the release it enables you to feel? I'm just curious,not trying to start drama.

P.S didn't know what category to post this in.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 AM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• OP ~ I know all about those judgments and hide my scars so I don't have to answer the questions. I used to cut to try to get my "monster" to stop screaming at me...I guess the pain sort of diverted my mind from the screaming to the pain so that I knew that I could make my "monster" leave me alone for awhile. My biggest problem was popping whole bottles of pills to try to kill myself, though, and I've been in and out of psych hospitals for about a year before they tried ECT, which helped stop the suicidal tendencies, but not the depression. I also have memory loss.
    Anyhow, I never knew anyone thought I was "faking" it until my daughter recently told another military wife whose husband is being deployed that if she wants him back home sooner, just fake being crazy "like my mother did." That hurts a lot. I know that year was hell on my kids, but I didn't know she rationalized the whole thing by thinking I was faking it all!
    Anonymous

• I didn't know depressed people did this. I thought it was people with serious mental illnesses who cut. I was told that people cut to differentiate between real and make believe. My aunt is schizophrenic and she cuts, it helps her in some sort of way, I guess.

No I do not understand this and I hope I never do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:54 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• OMGosh! The first person who actually understands me!
    I am emo, and I slash my wrists and arms alot.
    I posted a question about this and f***in Blueliner and a couple of other
    B****es said all you want is attention and called me a whiny child.
    I am also anorexic, too.
    Feel free to contact me at haleighhale@live.com
    .fatalstrike.

Answer by .fatalstrike. at 6:14 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• well you have to understand that the cafemom'ers who come up with the solution "they do it only for attention" most likely came up with it because they dont cut themselves nor do they know what its like. you have to be in the cutter's shoes in order to really know why you do it but people on here come up with their own crap.

my sister used to but she doesnt have illnesses or go around saying "look at ME while i cut myself!!!"
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:55 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Hello i came across this question and i'm sorry to hear that you either were told that self infliction is for attention well i must tell you that it's not for that reason. People who go through this serious situation due to severe depression have a tendensy of cutting one self so they can feel a diffrent kind of pain instead of the one that is seriously mentally hurting them. It's a way of forgetting for a few seconds or minutes other people deal with it by using illegal drugs and drinking they believe that it helps for a minute cause it distracts the mind. I am sorry that you went through this horrible situation. I hope and pray that if you ever again feel in your state of mind of dealing with a bad situation that will make you depress the way you were I hope you turn around and realize that hurting yourself does not work. Try picking up a bible and read until your mind is at ease. Hope all is well with you toda
    pgee357

Answer by pgee357 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I hate to answer your question with a question, but are you in any sort of therapy for this? Anexoria and cutting are serious matters and you should be in some serious counseling. Cutting may "release" emotion for you, but it is not the healthy way to do so, and it leaves horrible scars. Where I come from Emo people are crying for help, they seed attention, and negative attention is better than none at all. I am concerned, as this is cafemom, so how are you children dealing with all of this turmoil you have in life? How are you setting a healthy example for your children? I am not trying to be a bitch at all, I am just worried that you have so much going on, and you clearly should be getting some help and support, to find out what is the crux of these issues and getting the proper tools to deal with your life that is not harmful to you or you children, good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Salexander: I understand your concern but I am fine now.This was years ago when I was a teen. There is no need to be concerned for my children really. Yes I have had therapy and anti depressants and all. I am fine. I was just curious why people don't even try to understand they just automatically judge.
    Anonymous