Should 11-year-old be shaving

Ok-my sister-in-law's DD is 11. A perfectly fine, sweet young girl."Maria" already has pubic hair, and underarm hairs are starting to grow (sorry, but EW). She wants to shave these hairs off but not tell her mother (her mom is a nosy, rather embarassing parent). She also confided in me that she thinks she might have hairy legs. A lot of girls at her school don't shave their legs-they're not feminine. South Hill School is really focused on sports.
Another thing, she tells me she has anorexic thoughts. i tell her dont try it. Maria is 5 feet and 93 pounds. She is active on the swim team.

Is all this normal for an 11-year-old girl?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 AM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I started shaving in 6th grade. I had dark black hair on my legs and it was uncomfortable. Discuss this with her mother and let her know that she confided in you so please to not let it out. Maybe her mother can have a talk with her without letting on you talked to her.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 11:55 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I would say shaving is normal for a girl that age. My DD shaves and she's 10. Having anorexic thought isn't normal. But maybe with the schools focus on sports several of her friends might be and maybe she feels pressure to do it to. I would definitely try to find her help for that. Or at least make sure she gets educated about healthy eating and a healthy weight. If she does become anorexic she could ruin her body as well as her heart and fertility.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 7:35 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• i would say yes...especially if she is on the swim team...even the guys (pro swimmers) shave or wax everything.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:45 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• you can help her by telling her mother...just tell her mother it will help her be a better swimmer.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:50 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Most girls I knew in school started shaving around the age 10.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I shaved at 10! It is gross to not! Girls need to be taught hygeine as soon as it is relevant! Armpit hair should be shaved as well a leg hair by the 5th grade latest! It seems people are holding back on kids these days despite how embarrassing it may be to the kid!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:26 AM on Jun. 17, 2010