Should I let my daughter walk home from school with her boyfriend?

It's finals week and after her last final tomorrow she wants to hang around with a large (8 or so, all of whom I've met and are good kids ) group of girls and boys and walk to the tennis courts from the high school (at the end of the long entrance to the HS) and then her boyfriend told her he could walk her home.
I told her he could come swimming, as my son is having a couple of his friends over. We live set back on a main road and it's about a mile and 1/2 from the school. She has known this fellow for 2 or more years, but they've only been gf and bf for a couple of months...I've recently just met him a few times. Nice kid, track/cc team, umpires for little league, not a stellar student, but busy, and polite. I could pick them up from school before my son's friends get here, but I'm thinking of going with trusting her/him. She is a high honors student and very trustworthy..will be 16 in a couple of weeks. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 AM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• i think that there is an oil spill in the gulf and you should be there volunteering! do u mommies really worry about such trivial stuff. boy i wish i had your problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Yes, let her, you are only young once and first loves are wonderful memories in the making.

Answer by older at 7:11 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Anon 7:02, are you there volunteering? We all have problems big and small and we come here to get advice on them all. If you don't care to help, why don't you refrain from posting a reply?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• eeeh..if it were me and my high school bf we would find a place to sneak off on the walk home to feel each other up.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:37 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I would be less worried about the little boy friend and more worried about perverts ready to grab your dd and push her the car and take her away!!!!

That has happened so many times to kids walking alone and I would be worried about that! Everybody thinks the area they live in is safe, I dont believe it, EVERY AREA has pervs! EVERY!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

Then why are you wasting your time typing that and being on here when you could be out volunteering right now? It might not be a issue for you, but this is a mother's site and she is a mother asking a question. You need to find a better site to fit your needs.

As for the OP's question, I would just go with your gut feeling. If it was me and it was a pretty safe walk home, I would probably let them do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• It depends how old she is! If she is over 15, then please quit being so over bearing! She will rebel and you will lose all control! Be careful how tightly you hold sand! Just a metaphore, but very true!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:22 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Let them as long as it will be a safe walk home. Set a firm time schedule. You need to start letting her have some freedom. But not too much. Yes they will probably try to make out on the way home. And too much hanging around at the tennis courts can lead to trouble. Set firm limits and do not back down. If you give her too much freedom these are the kids who may be partying,etc. in a few years. Having the boyfriend as part of your family (knowing your sons) will help
    Sasha51

Answer by Sasha51 at 8:22 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• of COURSE I would let her. She has a walking buddy who obviously cares about her safety and she is plenty old enough. Try not to helicopter so much. It is not like they asked permission to get a hotel room! She gets her license in a year....then you will really start having to let go a little. This is a great opportunity for you both to test the waters. Sounds like she has earned your trust and a little freedom.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:07 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• You know this kid, it sounds like they're good kids, they know each other (my dd and her bf were friends way before they started dating, too). The good thing about them being friends for so long first is that you and your dd have both had time to get to know his character. It sounds like a pretty innocent date to me.

If they're that determined to do something they shouldn't (as a pp said, go sneak off to feel each other up first) - then, honestly, they're already going to find a place / a way to do that, even if you don't let them walk home.

As far as it being dangerous - yes, there's always a chance that something could happen... But then again, I could be hit by a car walking in the parking lot at the grocery store. That doesn't mean I stop buying food and feeding my family - kwim? It sounds very, practically non existent, risk here.

I would let them do it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2010