Do you give your kids an allowance?

How old are they, how much do you give and do you expect anything out of them in order to get it, meaning, do you attach chores to them, and if so, what chores? DD is 5 and we are thinking its time for some lessons in money management, not sure how to start....any of your experiences would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 8:47 AM on Jun. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• She gets an allowance... she's allowed to live here and be clothed and fed. If she needs or wants something she can ask me for it.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• no $ from me. my kids pull their weight around here for free.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• When my daughter was three/four we started an allowance. But it was tied to chores. We made a seven day chart with simple chores listed. When she completed a chore we checked it off. If a chore was NOT done that was also noted. At the end of the week she received one dollar for every completed day. She very quickly understood that no chores = no money.
    The reason we paid a dollar was for simplicity. Some of her friends would receive quaters which they quickly spent. Usually at vending machines in the grocery store. By giving her real money she also learned how to save. We also sat down every week and decided how much went where.
    She would keep a few dollars for spending,some went to church/donations,and most went into her pig. She also started paying for her own birthday/christmas presents for others. She quickly learned the value of money.
    Sasha51

Answer by Sasha51 at 9:13 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• DD is 2- no allowance. I have no issues giving her allowance when she is older-- but she will work for it.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 9:14 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

-----------------

LOL, awesome! I love that! I have to tell my dd that one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• She gets an allowance... she's allowed to live here and be clothed and fed.
    -----------------------

Allowed to live there? Wow, I hope she's old enough to support herself. I think every child should have the experience of "earning money" before they actually have to get a job, so that they know how to value their work.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:19 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• My son, who is 10, does get an allowance. But, he has to work for his money. He has to keep his room & bathroom clean in order to get his allowance (which is $10 per week).
    When he is in school, it works a little differently, then he gets $5 for completing homework & doing all of his school work with no arguments about it. He gets $5 for his bedroom & bathroom in a week.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:21 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Nothing monetary, they earn their keep, the ability to ride their dirtbikes, swim in the pool, jump on the trampoline, go rock crawling in our jeep with us, yearly vacations, etc etc.... So they have to do whats expected of them so they don't grow up with a sense of entitlement, and appreciate what they earn. I don't get paid to cook, clean, etc so I can't see paying them to help. They have a roof, nice home, good food, and tons of love, we feel that's pay enough...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:21 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• It is never too early to understand how money works. Too many adults do not understand the concept of work=money. My daughter is now in her teens. She is more responsible about money than a lot of adults.
    Sasha51

Answer by Sasha51 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Allowed to live there? Wow, I hope she's old enough to support herself. I think every child should have the experience of "earning money" before they actually have to get a job, so that they know how to value their work.
    ______________________

And she will experience that when she's 16 and gets a job. And once in a while she does make some money doing an odd job for grandma. But children also need to learn that some things need to be done regardless of if they would get paid or not.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:25 AM on Jun. 17, 2010